FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rack rails for Netstor / Highpoint Technologies NA381TB?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Murchison
Rack rails for Netstor / Highpoint Technologies NA381TB?
on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:13:00 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Murchison on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:51:12 pm

I'm planning on getting an NA381TB Thunderbolt 2 chassis (branded as Highpoint Technologies but I'm pretty sure it's just a rebranded Netstor one) and I almost completely forgot about the rack rails.

I managed to track down the Netstor rack rails (model ATSRFR28TW) but I can't seem to find what the minimum mounting depth is. Unfortunately our racks in the office are a bit shallow at 23.5" from front to back post and I've run into this problem before with some rails just being too long to be mounted in our rack (which is when I just go for a shelf).

Does anyone have these rails / can anyone tell me what the minimum length of them is?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Rack rails for Netstor / Highpoint Technologies NA381TB?
on Jul 7, 2015 at 8:20:12 pm

just screw it into your rack. You don't need rack rails.
There will be no stress problems on the chassis with the
NA381TB fully loaded, and just being supported by the screws on the
front.

This is not a Sony VTR. And it's not a 30" deep Apple Xserve.

Even HP Libraries - I mount them on rack support shelves (no bottom, just the sides). I hate those rail kits. The only kits that were ever good - even in the VTR days were Chassis Trak or FEC from Long Island (they made Sony's kits for the D2 machines).

I use Middle Atlantic Slim 5 series 20" deep racks for most of my installations, and they work just fine. If it sticks out of the back - it makes it easy to get to the connectors !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Jul 8, 2015 at 7:30:13 pm

You mount them with just 4 screws in the front :-0 16 bays ? :-0

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 18, 2015 at 8:47:24 am

If you're worried about supporting a 16-bay on four front screws, then get support angles to place below your RAID and then slide it in.

Rails are something you need for a device that needs to be slid out periodically - like VTRs for maintenance. RAIDs seldom need to be removed. If they do, then you'll need to take it out completely and take it to a work table for working on it anyway.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]