FORUMS: list search recent posts

ExFAT RAID-0 won't mount on OSX

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bender
ExFAT RAID-0 won't mount on OSX
on Jun 8, 2015 at 4:34:02 pm

Hi All,

I've often used ExFAT disks to move files between PCs and Macs, but this time I've run into a problem.

I have a 2-disk RAID-0, formatted in ExFAT on a Windows PC, and it won't mount on my late 2013 15" rMBP running 10.10.3, either on native USB3 or FW800/eSATA via adapter. The disk appears in Disk Utility as "4 TB Ext Hard Disk Media" containing two disks, one is "disk2s1" and the other is "icebox", the name of my RAID volume. I've tried verifying and repairing the disk, and the RAID volume appears OK, but I can't mount it — I get "Mount failed | The disk “icebox” could not be mounted. | Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting." I've run First Aid, which turned up no problems.

Any thoughts on how I can get this disk to mount? I need this data, and do not have ready access to a PC to retrieve it.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Joe

Here is a screenshot of the error in disk utility:
8905_screenshot20150608at12.22.25.png.zip

System specs are:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: ExFAT RAID-0 won't mount on OSX
on Jun 9, 2015 at 3:27:44 pm

You don't say what your 2 disk enclosure is, but I'll go out on a limb and say that it doesn't have an onboard RAID controller, so the RAID is a Windows Software RAID set that Mac isn't able to utilize. Which is why the individual drives show up fine, but the RAID set does not.
Put it on a Win PC to read it.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

Joe Bender
Re: ExFAT RAID-0 won't mount on OSX
on Jun 9, 2015 at 3:41:49 pm

Hi Todd,
Thanks for your reply.
The external enclosure does have an onboard RAID controller — it's a Storeva AluICE XXL mini (http://www.storeva.com/fr/AluICE-XXL-mini-94.html — I bought this enclosure in France) with 2x 2TB Seagate Momentus Spinpoint M9T 2,5" disks. Not my favorite disks, but it's what was available and I needed this drive in a hurry. I didn't have my laptop with me that day and I formatted the drive on Windows rather than doing the ExFAT format on Mac (as I have done in the past). I have used other enclosures from the same manufacturer, formatted in ExFAT, on both Windows and Mac.

Anything else I might try to get it to mount?

Thanks again,

Joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]