FORUMS: list search recent posts

G raid error

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Argyropoulos
G raid error
on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:57:04 am

I am using a 2tb G Raid external drive. I am trying to transfer large MXF (15gb) files to it and it is saying the files are too large. There is more than enough room on the drive. Does ANYONE out there have an idea why this is happening and more importantly, how to fix it?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: G raid error
on Mar 25, 2015 at 3:29:56 am

You have shortchanged us in terms of the info we need to help you. In order to help us to help you we need to know the following:

1) Is your system Mac or PC?

2) Did you format the drive, or did it come formatted?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Paul Argyropoulos
on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:34:13 am

Thank you for responding.

The drive came to me formatted and I am on a Macbook Pro 10.8.3 OSX, And am on Avid 5.5.

Paul Argyropoulos
slayskool@aol.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:56:15 am

Just as I suspected... The drive is most likely formatted FAT32 (for Winfows), and it thus has a 4Gb file size limitation. You need to format it Mac Extended using Apple Disk Utility. Any files on the drive will be erased in the reformatting process, so copy them to another hard drive before you forge ahead.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Paul Argyropoulos
on Mar 25, 2015 at 5:43:34 am

Thank you for responding. That makes so much sense now. To reformat the drive will be a beast as there is so much media on it now. Guess I will have to figure out how to deal with it. Thanks again!

Paul Argyropoulos
slayskool@aol.com

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Mar 25, 2015 at 7:13:19 pm
Last Edited By Todd Perchert on Mar 25, 2015 at 7:15:15 pm

Although, why would a G-RAID be FAT32? G-Drive, maybe, but a G-RAID? Unless someone re-formatted it.
Best way to check format is to right click or CTRL-Click and select Get Info. Look at what the info says as Format.
If you need cross-platform. Put the drive on a PC and format exFAT. Will do what you need then.
TC

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Mar 25, 2015 at 10:36:51 pm

A 2TB G-Raid probably means that there are two 1TB hd's in one enclosure. So you can do a Raid1 mirror.
It won't be a real raid system like we are used to.
cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 25, 2015 at 10:53:03 pm

Or, a 2-drive RAID 0 as well, both of which can be FAT32, if that's the issue, which sure sounds like it is.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Mar 26, 2015 at 11:13:58 am

I'm with you David - Fat32

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Mar 27, 2015 at 3:45:21 pm

Most likely. But certainly simple to check with 'Get Info'.
TC

Return to posts index

Paul Argyropoulos
on Mar 27, 2015 at 7:40:50 pm

AND THE WINNER IS…..

IT IS FAT 32. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Paul Argyropoulos
slayskool@aol.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 27, 2015 at 8:11:26 pm

[Todd Perchert] "Most likely. But certainly simple to check with 'Get Info'.
TC
"

Your are correct Todd... This biz is not rocket science, but it is nonetheless science, and it's always best to gather the facts. However, if you've been at this stuff as long as I have, it becomes pretty easy to diagnose these types of issues, as I've probably responded to similar questions about 2-zillion times. :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Paul Argyropoulos
on Mar 27, 2015 at 9:07:09 pm

Well, to be honest, the tech changes so quickly, it's tough to keep up. In my 20 years plus of editing, I've learned on a flatbed film cutter, moved to 3/4" Abner non TC tape format, then to CMX with a Grass 200 Switcher with all the accompanying parts, had to then learn Cube/Turbocube/Stratosphere non linear editing, then came a Grass editor, moved into Avid, then Final Cut pro which self destructed and now it seems as if I have to move into Adobe Premiere. Couple that with as an editor, having to do Photoshop, Aftereffects, and now AE work because people are too cheap to afford REAL professionals that deal with things like FAT 32 drive formatting as opposed to taking an editor and throwing him into a tech role instead of the Godlike creative one stop shop these video producers are demanding and what you get is…having to answer these questions 2-zillion times. It took 10 postings and finally a call to upper management at Canon to finally answer the question, "Why can't I use AMA on Avid 5.5 with C300 footage?" only to find out… I CAN'T. It's not supported for 5.5. Anyway, I thank people like you for answering our stupid questions 2-zillion times and apologize for the other 1,999,999 zillion confused people as well if it put you out.

And trust me…it IS rocket science when a Producer comes with cameramen having only a Polaroid Instamatic experience under the belt, and they give you multi camera files shot in 720p with free run non time of day timecode, 1080i time of day, 1080p NDF, and the other camera in drop frame demanding you to sync up everything by 5:00 with no field notes and no clapboard to sync everything to. And then they want everything cut by the next PM. Sounds like your world is more like Fantasyland where I come from. Rocket science is actually probably pretty easy. There is only one formula to determine velocity which ALL scientists have to agree to. Video? Try at the very least 100 different flavors with another 100 variables.

Paul Argyropoulos
slayskool@aol.com

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Mar 30, 2015 at 10:26:08 pm

Yep. And just when you assume you know the problem is when you get that one strange thing. Best to know for sure!
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]