FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the best Way to Backup/Store raw footage

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cerdeiros
What is the best Way to Backup/Store raw footage
on Sep 27, 2010 at 6:28:12 pm

Hi, I currently film a video for youtube almost every single night. Over the last 3 years I have kept my Raw and final footage. I have about 8 external drives totaling about 10TB. I would like to organize all of these files into a system that would be able to backup all of my data. I was thinking of a tower with swappable drives and a raid configuration. i have been doing some research but cant quite figure out if this is the right setup. I was looking at an 8 bay raid tower that does 0,1,5,10 and jbod setups. but was told due to striping i could not swap the drives. I anticipate on at least doubling my current library. My main concern is backing up my current drives. anyone who has any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Mike

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
Re: What is the best Way to Backup/Store raw footage
on Oct 2, 2010 at 9:17:10 am

I can second this question. At the moment we're simply cloning our firewire-drives from set which gives us a back-up but it's quite messy, unreliable and fully un-automated.

Something like a Cache-a would solve our problem but then we're talking quite a hefty starting cost.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Charles Wannop
Re: What is the best Way to Backup/Store raw footage
on Oct 6, 2010 at 5:50:22 am

Erik, you are quite right, the Cache-a is a beautiful solution but one that is out of reach for me (esp. in Australia) at the moment.
So I have just added Retrospect and an LTO4 tape drive to my MacPro. My plan is to replace the shelf full of 1TB external drives with sufficient tapes (One per project/client) that can be taken off site and stored for posterity. I have *almost* got a Caldigit Elements for working files and a small no-name (RaidPro??) FW external for Timemachine backups of Work-In-Progress (just in case of accidental deletions etc.) I am still figuring out the best boot, raw data, render file distribution scheme (and welcome suggestions) but that is my plan for now.
Not sure if that helps....

Charles.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]