FORUMS: list search recent posts

Startech.com RAID 5 array seems a very slow, wondering if there is a problem

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Startech.com RAID 5 array seems a very slow, wondering if there is a problem
on Mar 20, 2015 at 2:36:07 pm
Last Edited By Ben Edwards on Mar 20, 2015 at 2:38:12 pm

Hi, I have just put 4 new drives (Toshiba 2TB SATA 6GB/s 64MB 7200RPM 3.5") into a 4 bay enclosure (Startech.com 4 Drive eSATA USB FireWire External SATA, S354UFER) and am only getting transfer speeds of around 40 MB/s. I am using firewire 800. Is this to be expected, seems a little slow.

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 3550 3.3Ghz, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 16GB Mem

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Startech.com RAID 5 array seems a very slow, wondering if there is a problem
on Mar 20, 2015 at 4:03:47 pm
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Mar 20, 2015 at 5:26:22 pm

First, do you have ANY other FireWire devices plugged in?

Second, is the Startech enclosure possibly 3G, not 6G? (Some 3G devices can accommodate 6G drives, but at 3G speeds, while others are simply incompatible with newer 6G drives.
(***FYI, I just checked, and your Startech array does have a 6G backplane.)

Also, when you purchase the least expensive consumer solutions they sometimes fail to operate as expected in a video-centric domain, because they were not designed for high demands required by video.

There are many really good video storage companies advertising here on the Cow, and they specialize in fulfilling the needs and expectations of professional editors like yourself - when users try do it yourself solutions using consumer parts they typically have only a 50/50 chance of success, and when they fail that costs both time and money. The bottom line is, venturing into untested waters in our business is "false economy."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Startech.com RAID 5 array seems a very slow, wondering if there is a problem
on Mar 21, 2015 at 12:23:20 pm

You are roughly on the data speed of FW400.
I don't think the drives minimize the speed. I think that you have other devices attached to your computer on the same bus.
But more than around 70MB/s data speed won't be possible with FW800 and Raid5. Your best connection is the eSata.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 22, 2015 at 2:18:54 pm

http://www.span.com/search/sonnet_space_e4p

you are in England, right ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Mar 24, 2015 at 9:20:35 pm

Yes I am or that.

I tried eSATA and got almost 200MB/s which is great.

With eSATA I have to boot my PC with drive on to get it to work which is not ideal but I am going to give a eSATA to USB3 adapter a go.

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 3550 3.3Ghz, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 16GB Mem

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]