FORUMS: list search recent posts

working with RAID0

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rainer Wirth
working with RAID0
on Mar 5, 2015 at 11:21:12 am

Why do I post this?

A lot of people still want to work with Raid0.
Why? Under normal circumstances this is a no go. Minimum is Raid5 or better Raid6 (minimum of 8bay).
You can do nearly anything with it.
When it comes to the absolute high-end sometimes we use Raid0 with an older (still 4x8GBs 16bay Raid)
We back up everything on a 24bay FC raid Raid6 plus spare.
The Raid0 is like a scratch disc. We do the 4-6k 444 job on it. When the Job is done we erase the whole raid.
95% of our threads do not touch this topic.
So keep your fingers off Raid0, as long as you don't know what you are doing!!

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: working with RAID0
on Mar 6, 2015 at 3:36:42 am

this is my opinion.
RAID 0 is for manufacturers who want to show how fast their performance is, for magazine advertising.

In real life, you are an irresponsible idiot if you would with RAID 0 - even if you have backups of your media. Because it takes TIME to restore your media if you have a drive failure, and if you have a RAID 0 array, the odds are that you will have a drive failure. If you think I am wrong, you should go to Las Vegas, and gamble your life savings, and become rich. If you have a drive failure, and lose your media, and tell your client " oops - we will be back up soon, because I have a backup of all of this media on LTO tape" - that client will say "this guy is an idiot, and I am never working with him ever again".

You client NEVER EVER wants to hear that you lost your media, and you do everything possible to make sure that the client sees that your system is working perfectly (even if you have TWO dead drives while he is sitting there). When the client says "what is that loud beeping noise" - you tell him that it's time for him to order lunch - not that your drives just failed.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: working with RAID0
on Mar 6, 2015 at 3:04:12 pm

Hi Bob,

thanks for "washing my brain."

cheers

Rainer