FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing a bad drive in a Lacie 4big striped RAID 5

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Weber
Replacing a bad drive in a Lacie 4big striped RAID 5
on Mar 2, 2015 at 5:55:01 pm

Hello

I have a Lacie 4big Quadra 8TB drive, striped RAID 5. (4 x 2TB drives inside). Connected to a Mac Pro running OS 10.6.8. The Lacie RAID is about 4 years old.

A few days ago it started performing very slowly, and sometimes failing altogether when reading and/or writing. Iooked in the back, and the light by Drive #2 was blinking red-blue-red-blue.

I shut down everything, pulled out the bad drive, restarted, and the RAID still shows up on the desktop because it was set to RAID5. I can access the files fine, but I know I need to replace the bad drive to regain my redundancy. The big circle light on the front of the drive now flashes red-blue-red-blue.

If I buy a 2TB drive and install it where the bad drive used to be, what will happen? Will the files that used to be on the bad drive automatically reconstitute themselves on the new drive? Or do I need to do something to make this happen.

Or will I need to erase/reformat the whole thing to get back to normal? This wouldn't be the end of the world, because the files on the drive are also backed up on another system in a different building, so we are covered every which way.

Thank you for your advice -

Mike

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
Re: Replacing a bad drive in a Lacie 4big striped RAID 5
on Mar 3, 2015 at 3:39:09 pm

If you loose a drive in RAID5 you do NOT have to reformat if the rebuild is successful. That would be RAID0

-
PAGE 20 for replacing a disk.
https://www.lacie.com/download/manual/4big_Quadra_en.pdf

Blinking red/blue/red/blue says heat issue.

Looking at manual there is no RAID application just a switch on the unit so I suspect it will AUTO rebuild.

Make sure you replace exactly like for like - Manufacture / Model / Capacity - Firmware should match but you maybe ok.

Hope that help.

s

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Mar 5, 2015 at 10:39:32 am

Just insert the new drive and it will auto rebuilt.
You need exactly the same drive. Normally it would be a 2TB Hitachi HDS 722020ALA330

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Mike Weber
on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:09:49 pm

Great, thanks guys for your advice. I ordered a replacement drive directly from Lacie, should arrive today.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]