A Tornado hit our studio

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dee
A Tornado hit our studio
on Feb 20, 2015 at 3:01:17 pm

Hi there,

I need the communities help please...

Whilst on location in Africa, a storm severely damaged our road edit setup.
I've now returned to base with many HDDs in different enclosures.
I need to find a cost/time efficient way to quickly start editing our indie feature documentary.
Essentially to have all/most data accessed easily/centrally by one Edit machine (laptop)

What I have:
A G-Tech eSata hot-swappable enclosure. (GSpeedES) with 4x750GB drives inside
2 x simpler GTech FW800 enclosures (1x750GB) (1x650GB)
8 (ex-MacPro) internal SATA drives
3 x LaCie Rugged drives (FW800/USB1)
A WD MyBook consumer 2TB FW800 enclosue/drive
(Note: None of the above are RAID apart from GSpeedES)

What I need is a strategy for aggregating all FW800/eSATA data onto one enclosure ideally.
My remaining/ core machine is an old MacbookPro with FW800 and Expresscard Slot

Should I...
[a] Get a cheap HDD Caddy/Docking station? And find a way to pass-through, or copy?
[b] Find a cheap old Mac-friendly rack server with lots of bays? (Budget is shot for now :(

Currently I have nothing that can read the GSpeed ES (eSata connection) into FCP/AE/Prem on an old Mac (the MacPro died in the storm). Insurance won't cover in the timeframe I require.

Is there an eSATA/FW800 'passthrough' option to get data over to my laptop?
Should I remove the 4xgSpeedES drives, drop 4x3TB (12TB) into the GSpeedES box, and copy the removed (smaller) drives, back onto an enlarged (12TB) box somehow?

Sorry for my confusion, but I have really awesome footage, shot by serious pros, at great expense, and now the whole film is in limbo.

Excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong forum, I just thought from reading over he years that here would be a good starting point.

Let me know what you think please!
Thanks so much...I promise to be more succinct next time.

Mark

Amateur Editor
Professional Roadwarrior

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: A Tornado hit our studio
on Feb 23, 2015 at 4:13:00 pm

Hi Mark,

first thing to do is to get your Mac book attached to your GSpeed ES with a esata connection.
You need to get a Expresscard to esata adapter (f.e.Sonnet). Then you have a editing speed.
Next: Get yourself a HDD Docking station for the internal sata drives (USB) for back-up.
One FW800 drive or the internal HD in the MacBook you can use for the Renderfiles of your editing suite.
I would split the media with esata and the renderfilles on a seperate port.
Working with esata means that if you fill up the Raid more than 80% capacity (Minimum Raid5 never Raid0) it will slow down.
Work with one codec (my choice would be ProRes422, no HQ no LT). Transcode all media files into one working codec before start editing. (Mpeg streamclip or episode) You need less rendering then.
Last: Keep calm and remember slow is precise and beeing precise is fast.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: A Tornado hit our studio
on Feb 23, 2015 at 4:34:32 pm

Can you buy/order something or have it delivered, from where you are located? Or do you have to manage with what you have?

Other observations...

[Mark Dee] "A G-Tech eSata hot-swappable enclosure. (GSpeedES) with 4x750GB drives inside
2 x simpler GTech FW800 enclosures (1x750GB) (1x650GB)
8 (ex-MacPro) internal SATA drives
3 x LaCie Rugged drives (FW800/USB1)
A WD MyBook consumer 2TB FW800 enclosue/drive
(Note: None of the above are RAID apart from GSpeedES)
"

The GSpeed can be made to work with your MBP 17" - see below.
The GTech, LaCie, and WD drives will work fine with your MBP 17" and you can daisy chain them all together if you wish.

[Mark Dee] "What I need is a strategy for aggregating all FW800/eSATA data onto one enclosure ideally.
My remaining/ core machine is an old MacbookPro with FW800 and Expresscard Slot
"

There are ExpressCard to eSATA converters which work fine with the MBP 17" and will let you connect to your GSpees eS.

[Mark Dee] "Is there an eSATA/FW800 'passthrough' option to get data over to my laptop?"

No.

[Mark Dee] "Should I remove the 4xgSpeedES drives, drop 4x3TB (12TB) into the GSpeedES box, and copy the removed (smaller) drives, back onto an enlarged (12TB) box somehow?
"

No, please. They work, let them be.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]