FORUMS: list search recent posts

24 TB Stack: Raid 5 or Single drives?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Francis
24 TB Stack: Raid 5 or Single drives?
on Feb 3, 2015 at 6:56:11 pm

Hey community -

I have the opportunity to build my very own edit suite from the floor up and need a little advice from the experts. I am going to run a new Mac Pro married to a (most likely) Pegasus2 24TB stack. Would I be better off using this as a RAID5 or use as individual drive array? Advantages or disadvantages?

Not certain if we will be doing any 4K work as of yet but not out of the question. What did I leave out Bob?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: 24 TB Stack: Raid 5 or Single drives?
on Feb 3, 2015 at 8:11:14 pm

So Marc, if you bought a Ferrari tomorrow, would you get one with a four cylinder Fiat engine?

An 8-drive RAID is like a Ferrari engine for your edit station - that's because every time you double the number of disks in Ali array you virtually double the throughput. And, it comes with RAID 5 or 6 protection. You still need to backup everything, so don't forget a backup solution either to disk or to LTO tape.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 3, 2015 at 10:29:42 pm

David is of course correct. You are over thinking this.
Buy the Pegasus. Don't think. Leave it exactly the way it is. Plug it into your Mac, and go to work.
It comes out of the box RAID 5. Don't do anything. Don't be a brain surgeon. Just plug it in and
go to work. You need to make money, not think about the theoretical aspects of a RAID that works
perfectly fine right out of the box.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 3, 2015 at 10:52:38 pm

[Bob Zelin] "You need to make money, not think about the theoretical aspects of a RAID that works perfectly fine right out of the box."

Bob and I are in complete agreement...

For the record, Bob and I give this type of advice here for free because we want nothing more than for everyone here on the Cow to become rich and successful. So, go for it... Don't get bogged down with the hardware, spend your time perfecting your craft and just go tell tell great stories.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]