FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you recommend a raid controller for a simple RAID0 video editing setup?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Payne
Can you recommend a raid controller for a simple RAID0 video editing setup?
on Jan 24, 2015 at 9:01:21 pm

hi all i'm a video editor and my motherboard based raid 0 let me down last year so I've been running on single drives since then. Now the season has quietened down I'd like to set up a better quality raid and use 2x 1tb HDD's store video on and 2x 1TB HDD's to use as a cache drive. IF the hardware based raid controllers (have never used one before) allows, I'll probably get another 2x 1TB HDD's to make my video raid drive 2TB in total instead of 1TB.

Can you guys recommend a raid card that is not mega expensive but is reliable and crucially simple for a know nothing to set up!

If it makes any difference the drives I'm using are 1TB WD Caviar Blacks.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Can you recommend a raid controller for a simple RAID0 video editing setup?
on Jan 24, 2015 at 9:35:00 pm

You've not mentioned whether you're on the Mac or PC platform - not that it matters for the top two Raid controllers, as they are cross platform, but like many questions, the answer is a tad more complex than you seem to think.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Jan 24, 2015 at 9:36:46 pm

Sorry, I don't really know anything about them. I'm a pc user, Intel i7,windows 7 64bit,32gb ram

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 24, 2015 at 10:15:09 pm

I understand...

The two best RAID controllers are Areca and ATTO, but they are a bit pricey, at about $950 to $1100 each. They both come in a variety of flavors, depending upon how many ports you need internally and externally. The Areca 1882 series are a bit easier to deal with typically.

There are less expensive controllers by LSI that aren't bad, but don't be tempted by RocketRaid cards, as their support bites.

One more very important fact is, no RAID protection scheme is foolproof, so don't think that RAID 5 means no backups are necessary. The RAID 0 issue you had should not have been a disaster, as you should have had a backup. So, with that being said, maybe you really need more backup drives, not a RAID controller?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Jan 24, 2015 at 10:19:25 pm

Nope it was not a disaster, hence wanting raid0 again. I want it solely for speed. I'm under the impression that 1x drive is slower than 2x identical drives raid0'd together, is that correct?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 24, 2015 at 10:28:40 pm

Every time you double the number of drives in a RAID array you virtually double the throughput. So yes, two drives striped together as RAID 0 will have twice the thriughput of a single drive. The reason many buy an 8-drive RAID is that it has enough throughout and space for most users for a long, long time, allowing one to grow over time without making a new major purchase for a long time.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Jan 25, 2015 at 8:08:48 am

If I go for 8 port, do I need to use all 8 or can be I just use 6 for the time being?

Are any of these not awful?

http://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=%20%20%20%20Lsi%20raid%208%20port

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
on Jan 25, 2015 at 11:16:17 pm

You can use how many you want. RAID options will be different (like RAID5 needs minimum 3 drives, RAID 10 minimum 4...).
However, The more drives you have in RAID 0, the more increase the chances for a disaster. The probability of a failure is multiplying accordingly.
For long-term storage try at least a RAID 5 (for redundancy) - with three drives it will have 2/3 capacity of a single drive, with 4 drives will have 3/4.

I am using now a controller that I got from eBay - 3ware AMCC 9650SE-4LPML.
It's performance during video rendering is above and beyond what my Intel ICH10R could do (with the CPU used at 100% by video software).

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Jan 26, 2015 at 3:23:06 pm

thank you, one recommendation is all i need as I'm really keen to get one asap. Unfortunately I can only find your one for sale in the states so may have to go down that route

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9650SE-4LPML-AMCC-3WARE-4-PORT-PCIe-SATA-II-2-RAI...

Can you confirm that's correct?

Also excuse the silly question but I don't see 8 ports on the card.. how do the HDD's connect or does just one connect to it?

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
on Jan 27, 2015 at 11:27:22 am
Last Edited By Sorin Nicu on Jan 27, 2015 at 11:35:12 am

The 9650SE-4 is just a 4 port card. The -8i is the 8 port card (couldn't find in UK ebay.
Example link on US ebay

Another example link.

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Jan 27, 2015 at 11:30:27 am

would you mind taking a look on here and telling me if any stand out as doable?
http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/hdd-controllers/all

Return to posts index

Tyler Chittick
on Jan 28, 2015 at 12:12:45 am

Two things.

1) That's only a SATA II card, so your speed may be slower, depending on what drives you have. I would recommend looking for a RAID controller that is SATA III, as pretty much all new drives now-a-days are SATA III. LSI, Areca, and Atto all make great controller cards.

2) You'd need a fanout cable (like this). The card has one SFF-8087 port which translates into four SATA ports, and that cable has 4x SATA ports on the other end. You plug your drives in with that and provide power to the drives from your computer's power supply.

--
Tyler Chittick
Integration & Technical Support
Maxx Digital
http://www.maxxdigital.com
tyler@maxxdigital.com
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Jan 30, 2015 at 3:57:14 pm

hmm.. why does it say posts removed from this thread?

If anyone can find a UK sold raid controller for under £350 or so that you recommend, please do help out.. I'm totally lost trying to find a non RocketRAID controller with good reviews for sub £500

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 30, 2015 at 4:04:06 pm

Go back to my original post... I mentioned LSI as the low cost alternative to ATTO and Areca. Of course, I have no idea if the brand is sold in the UK.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Jan 30, 2015 at 4:08:09 pm

appreciate your help and trust me if i could find the bloody thing i'd snap it up!!

Is this the same?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMCC-700-3260-20D-9650SE-8LPML-PCIe-SATA-300-Raid...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 30, 2015 at 4:26:54 pm

I have no idea about that one. Sorry.

CalDigit makes a good eSATA card, and pretty sure they are sold in the UK. However, as I mentioned here weeks ago, I really think you need to go with SAS, not eSATA, for 4K work.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Jan 30, 2015 at 4:29:16 pm

would that mean all new drives?

the 4k plan is on hold for a while, but i still don't want to buy the controller if i'll need to update it a few months later..

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 30, 2015 at 4:59:26 pm

No, not all new drives, but new enclosure and controller. And yes, the reason I'm steering you in that direction is because eSATA is old and limited technology that is just not a wise investment at this time.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Jan 30, 2015 at 5:02:09 pm

thansk David. I'll need to read up on what SAS actually is as I've not heard of it before. If it's just a new method of cabling for existing esata drives and it makes data transfer quicker then it seems silly not to go for it.

I'm just worried I wont be able to take in the information when I read up! I thought my pc building knowledge was ok but researching raid controllers alone has given me a headache!

Is the controller you recommended a SAS controller? (Im confident a "sas controller") isnt even the right term.. told you I was useless!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 30, 2015 at 5:24:06 pm

No need to self-deprecate, story sense is far more important than hardware sense.

SAS is the fastest current connectivity for RAIDs, though thunderbolt-2 is virtually identical. And, there are SAS to Thunderbolt expansion chassis that make it possible to move the controller card and enclosure to a new Mac later.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Feb 6, 2015 at 1:22:31 pm

im rapidly running out of time so I'm just going to have to go for a rocketRAID card.. there are just none others available to my eyes.

I might just get this, I havd a pcie 8x port free and this says its an 8 port card.. it mentions raid.. it mentions 8 port.. thats about as technical as I get, I just hope I don't buy it and find it's not compatible

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8-port-highpoint-rocketraid-2720sgl(rr2720)-...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]