FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Raid Enclosure for video capture and editing

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Moyer
External Raid Enclosure for video capture and editing
on Apr 4, 2010 at 1:18:02 am

I do a lot of work with game (as in videogame) promos. I capture most of the video using this: http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1212-Definition-Personal-Recorder/dp/B0018L...

Currently for my workflow I have an Intel X25 SSD for my OS install where I have all my video editing software installed. Then I just have a separate internal hard drive that I capture the video on and edit it from.

I do get some frame drops and whatnot when recording, so I'm looking to upgrade and set up a raid array for my capture and to edit from.

I'd like to be able to hold a lot of footage so I'm thinking Raid-5 with 2tb drives. I'm looking for a good Raid-5 enclosure that can hold three to five drives at least and give me decent recording ability without dropping frames, and will be fast to edit from.

Also, I'm still a bit confused on how this all works. Do I need the enclosure and then also a Raid card, and does the Raid card go in the computer? My motherboard has an eSata port on it, but is that only for software raid?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: External Raid Enclosure for video capture and editing
on Apr 4, 2010 at 1:11:09 pm

I am confused by your post. I work with video professionals all day long, that do game capture, and work for gaming companies. They too use RAID 5 drive arrays. They use RAID 5 drive arrays that are being advertised RIGHT HERE on Creative Cow, that are flashing in your face right now, as you read this post. Look to your left, look to your right - tons of drive companies like Dulce Systems, Maxx Digital, G-Tech, Cal Digit, JMR, and all the others, that make beautiful, hi end, professional RAID 5 arrays, that will work perfectly for you.

Exactly what confuses you here ? Do you want to know which one is better than the next ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ryan Moyer
on Apr 4, 2010 at 7:44:18 pm

Hmmm, I suppose I should have been more clear.

Video editing is not my primary source of income. It's something I did as a hobby for a while and have recently started doing some individual project work on the side for some small-time clients that saw my work.

As such, I don't have a particularly large budget for it, nor a "tech" guy to refer to.

I already have three (maybe looking to add a fourth) 2tb drives that I'd like to configure in raid-5, so I'm just looking for the enclosure/card. I feel like I should be able to get this for under $800 or so off a site like newegg, but am not sure what I should be looking for there. Will any old cheap $100-$200 enclosure work fine if I spend the money to get a good Areca raid controller card?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 6, 2010 at 2:06:49 am

a good Areca card will cost more than your entire drive array, and require an array that supports SAS/SATA connectors.

Perhaps some others will assist you - I cannot give you advice on Newegg and OtherWorldComputing products. The products I discuss and support are hi end professional products that are seen as advertisers right here on Creative Cow.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ryan Moyer
on Apr 6, 2010 at 2:55:31 am

I understand. On that front, I was looking at the g-technology 4tb raid-0 setup (http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid.cfm).

That is reasonably priced at $550, however they have some optional eSata PCIe connectors. The PCIe x1 adapter claims up to 100mb/s read/write, and the PCIe x4 adapter claims up to 200mb/s. That adds another $320 to the price though, which is pushing it.

My motherboard (A-bit IP35-pro) already has an eSata port, so do I even need those cards or will using the onboard eSata port do fine for video editing?

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:51:42 pm

Bob and Ryan, I notice that Ryan`s asking for a suggestion on the enclosure itself at a budget that goes with the, in this case like most, hard drives, that are in the controller setup. Ryan, after you have emptied your wallet getting the Raid controller you want, you can either ask a computer storage worker to give you a "5- inchers tape backup box" and then mount your 3-1/2 -inch hard drives in floppy cradles, then in it, or worse yet, you can grab a computer off the curbside, empty out the usual guts then put the hard drives in the 5- inch and 3-1/2 -inch slots in the same way. Wiring the box`s fan to tap electricity from your computer is up to you. The price is free assuming you don`t consider the cost of giving the box a scrub, first.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 6, 2010 at 4:17:28 pm

Ryan, 100 MB per second is quite alright for arraying some hard drives to edit home movies, but if things start to stop being a hobby, you`ll find out that a PCIe times one slot is just a glorified PCI slot. Drop your "device connector" or controller card in a PCIe x 4 slot or move your DVD burner, DVD "player", and maybe OS (operating system) hard drive to the ide slot so you can loosten up some SATA sockets to make a Raid array there. If your electric bill were up to me, I`d feel like putting a Raid controller in the PCIe x 16 slot and the video card in the PCIe x 4 or AGP slot to make the hard drives seriously open for business. It`s better than editing at the speed in which the monitor sunburns your face in an editing session. Old Simon at Today Video had a neat editing trick he used. He almost always used split screen effects or split screen software to do two monitors worth of editing on one monitor.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:16:37 pm

Ryan, I looked over your hardware more closely. Your Intel X25 SSD is capable of regular professional editing with an almost perfect lack of dropouts. What it is connected to, is not. Hooking it to a PCIe x 1 slot certainly gives you the chopped data you see. hooking it to a SATA 150 socket will give you less performance than the drive is capable of, but good for regular work, much better than what you have. Hooking it up to a SATA 300 socket, moderately better still. Using a pair of these SSDs in a Raid 0 controller ported out of a PCIe x 4 slot would give you plenty of room to grow. For the money you mentioned though, avoid Raid 1 and Raid 5 and settle for burning DVD backups of your editing work in stages of progress. Your money says that you`re not ready for big gigabytes editing. Instead, if you need a big gigabytes output, combine the saved edit segments onto a single large, regular, SATA or ATA 133 hard drive, then you can make your (guess, future, blu-ray) burns poured ready off it. My next guess is that your motherboard is a junk PCIe x 16, plus PCIe x 1, plus PCIs, plus not enough SATAs game motherboard. Since you don`t need a square frisbee, it can be your copier, (dailies or rushes sendoff machine). I bought a PCIe crossfire motherboard for $18.95 a month ago and am migrating hardware into it.

Return to posts index

Ryan Moyer
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:16:42 pm

The motherboard has the following specs with regards to PCIe and SATA ports:

Expansion Slots
1 x PCI-E X16, 1 x PCI-E X16 (x4 bandwidth), 1 x PCI-E X1, 3 x PCI

Serial ATA
6 x SATA 3Gb/s offer by Intel® ICH9R support Intel® Matrix Storage Tech(AHCI & RAID0/1/5/10)
2 x eSATA 3Gb/s through JMicron® JMB363 support 0,1JBOD RAID function

I've heard that hardware raid's big advantages (in Windows) come in raid5 and up, and that it doesn't offer much of an advantage for Raid-0. So if I was willing to settle on Raid-0 would popping in two 7200rpm 2tb hard drives configured for software raid (just hooked up using the standard SATA ports) using ICH9R be a good option?

That would give me 4tb of working space which would be a good start, and I would use a networked server or NAS to do nightly backups onto.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:01:02 pm

Ryan, your latest post shows an arrangement with some signs of new life. Older versions of the motherboard may have had a PCIe x 16 and a PCIe x 1 without the additional PCIe x 16, mechanically, PCIE x 4 electrically. Your MB like mine has enough ports and features for different options. Personally though, I think that even though you have nice NAS storage as backup available, you`ll still feel the agony when your pair of 2 GB hard drives pick up a crash mistake and you spend more than a week`s spare time utilitying them back to shape for another trip to sea. Instead, consider buying at least 3 premium 160 to 250 GB (SATA?) hard drives for big time Raid striping, maybe your X25 is the OS drive or a specialty, and the pair of 2TB hard drives are Raid 1 or JBOD projects and backup drives basically (in duplicate purpose not parallel use) to your NAS storage. Still, keep enough money in your pocket to buy a controller and it`s cables in case the motherboard`s Raid functions turn out to be defective and you should fill that PCIe x 4 slot in the usual way. If you go to an external array when editing video, see if you need to serial port time code to the editing controller in their own cables.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:08:16 pm

P.S., you might have to turn the motherboard`s PCIe x 4 slot from PCIe x 1 (or off) to PCIe x 4 with a manual setting in the bios.

Return to posts index

David Chai
on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:00:00 am

What about the Promise DS4600? Raid 5, very affordable and esata connection. Not good enough for uncompressed. A software 3 drive sata RAID 0 will give you more speed, but no protection.

-----------------
David Chai
Director . Camera . Editor
http://www.davidchai.com
dc@davidchai.com
212 363 0159

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]