FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID0 without OS reinstallation, z87 pro

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anand kamal
RAID0 without OS reinstallation, z87 pro
on Dec 5, 2014 at 9:47:52 am

friends, How to set up raid0 in asus z87 pro motherboard? I do not want to re-install my OS which is already fine in an 128gb SSD. The raid0 must be set to two 6TB WD hard disks for video editing purpose. A technician here says I must re-install the OS. I just wanted to know if I can set up raid without having to do anything with other hard drives and C drive.

Return to posts index

Tyler Chittick
Re: RAID0 without OS reinstallation, z87 pro
on Dec 5, 2014 at 6:22:19 pm

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z87-PRO/E8489_Z87-PRO.pdf

Page 155 of the user's manual pdf. I think this MoBo has two different HDD controllers on it. You'll be changing the Intel controller to RAID mode. I would suggest plugging in your boot drive to a port on the other controller. You can look on page 54 of that pdf to see which ports are associated with which controller. That should do the trick without the need for reinstalling the OS. You can leave your OS drive unplugged while you're doing this so you don't risk anything happening if you desire.

Disclaimer: I'm not an ASUS tech, nor do I have this particular motherboard. However, I have done RAID setup on ASUS motherboards.

--
Tyler Chittick
Integration & Technical Support
Maxx Digital
http://www.maxxdigital.com
tyler@maxxdigital.com
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

anand kamal
Re: RAID0 without OS reinstallation, z87 pro
on Dec 8, 2014 at 7:18:47 am

thanks brother. The manual says, "Due to chipset limitation, when SATA ports are set to RAID mode, all SATA ports run at RAID mode together," which I do not understand.

1) If all SATA ports run at RAID mode, but only two of which are RAID-enabled hard disks, what problems will we face with the non-raid hard disks running in raid mode?

2) Also, you told I can connect the bootable drive (C:/) to 'other' port (other than RAID, i presume). Can you suggest me the other port as there are lots of connectors? Did you mean ASmedia Sata connector?

thanks again..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]