FORUMS: list search recent posts

multi-disk editing setup

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Sax
multi-disk editing setup
on Dec 1, 2014 at 3:10:15 pm
Last Edited By Sam Sax on Dec 1, 2014 at 5:19:19 pm

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this post - should I place this into Storage or Editing instead?

Premier Pro & After Effects: Can anyone offer advice on which disks the Project Files, Cache, DB Cache, Preview Files, and Exports should be placed on a multi-disk editing setup?

(1) My OS & Apps are on an SSD.
(2) Media Assets are currently on a 4 disk RAID 0 (via OWC Thunderbay 4 & SoftRaid).

Additional drives and equipment I have to work with:

Four 1TB Seagate Barracudas
Two 300GB WD VelociRaptors
One 480GB Mushkin Chronos SSD
One 256GB Ultra Plus ScanDisk SSD

To house the additional drives I have an 8 Bay Sans Digital eSATA TR8M+B enclosure.

The Sans Digital is limited to about 334 read / 221 write speeds - though I seem to be getting considerably below that with the Mushkin SSD when tested with the Black Magic Disk app. However, I have gotten higher when using RAID 0 with 4 HDD’s.

I do plan on eventually getting another ThunderBay 4 enclosure, but that’s not in the budget right now.

I know I need to put the Cache on its own for a scratch disk. What I am less sure about is where to place the Project Files, Preview Files, Exports, and DB Cache files. Do these need individual drives as well, or can they be combined with some of the other disks?

Right now I will just be editing and compositing multi-cam DSLR video and no single project seems to go beyond 40GB of footage.

System specs:
Hackintosh 3.49 GHz 4 core i7
32GB Memory
Nvidia GTX 780 6GB
Nvidia GTX 770 4 GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]