FORUMS: list search recent posts

Storage solution?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Noakes
Storage solution?
on Sep 20, 2010 at 4:44:28 pm

OK huge amateur here so please go easy.
I'm about to buy a Canon 550d and in a couple of months I'm going on tour with my mates band to film quite a lot of the tour.
Will be shooting in either 720p or 1080p.
I use Final Cut Pro on a 2009 Macbook Pro, 2.66ghz, 4gb.

As external storage I was thinking of buying two G tech G-mobile 500mb firewire drives to take with me to store the footage. Is that enough space?

I also use my laptop for audio (Logic, Ableton) aswell; I store that stuff on a separate firewire drive. I will continue to use the G-mobile drive as my storage for all HD video at home.

I've been trying to get my head around RAID set ups and from my understanding I don't need one for the work I'm doing, which is not overly elaborate. Although I plan to continue with video editing.
Am I wrong?????

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Storage solution?
on Sep 21, 2010 at 5:34:41 pm

you don't need anything else for what you are doing.

Return to posts index

Jordan Woods
on Sep 21, 2010 at 7:27:30 pm

You are going to want as much space as possible, but you will need it "ruggedized" for sure. I would make sure your device of choice has an internal fan. Some cheaper units have no fans and only rely on the enclosure for its heat-sync. You can't say for certain your power requirements and cooling on the road, and this will be your primary storage for your footage. Absolutely have a backup strategy, at least mirror these drives, and maybe create a DVD/blueray of your source cards. Workflows are always different for this, but the main point is to have something portable, cool(heat-wise), and redundant.

-jw

Return to posts index

Mitch Noakes
on Sep 22, 2010 at 4:03:35 am

Thanks guys.
Yeh the G-mobile seems to fit all those specifications James, heres a review on it by Kobler http://library.creativecow.net/kobler_helmut/g-drive/1
Cheers mate.

Just one more thing, how much storage space will I need for say an hour of HD footage? Ive tried to do some research on the sizes of different video formats but there is so many different formats, and I'm not sure which one my camera will be shooting in. I think it is H.264, because I read an article saying that this type of video, which the my camera shoots in, needs to be compressed to MPEG2 format to edit in Final Cut.

Do you guys know of any good sites/posts that give really good explanations on the differences of the different video formats?

Thanks heaps.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 22, 2010 at 12:55:15 pm

[Mitch Noakes] "how much storage space will I need for say an hour of HD footage?"

Check out the AJA Data Rate Calculator. Like you said, it depends on the format.

[Mitch Noakes] "I'm not sure which one my camera will be shooting in. I think it is H.264, because I read an article saying that this type of video, which the my camera shoots in, needs to be compressed to MPEG2 format to edit in Final Cut. Do you guys know of any good sites/posts that give really good explanations on the differences of the different video formats?"

h264 should be transcoded to ProRes for FCP editorial. If you take an hour or two to read through a couple days' worth of threads on the COW's Apple Final Cut Pro forum and check out Shane Ross's Tapeless Workflow with FCP 7, you will find a lot of great background information and save yourself many headaches.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Sep 23, 2010 at 7:22:10 pm

How much storage for what you have? http://www.aja.com/products/software/ (AJA Data rate calculator).

Jon Schilling | VP of Sales & Marketing
RAIDON-USA Technology
STARDOM Storage
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel: 323-803-8884
Fax: 323-372-3758
http://www.raidon-usa.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]