FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID or portable SSD?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Schiller
RAID or portable SSD?
on Nov 11, 2014 at 4:02:24 pm

Hi. I wanted to buy a present for someone who will be editing some 2K digital film files from an Arri Alexa on a humble iMac using Avid. It was suggested that they buy a G-Raid dual drive configured for maximum speed (RAID 0) and connected with Thunderbolt to the computer.

For about half the price I note that one could buy a LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt SSD unit. OK so these can only be used one at a time and provide only 0.5T of storage each as opposed to say 2T on the entry level G-Raid using RAID 0. On the other hand I wonder if this SSD solution would actually be faster and more rugged than the G-Raid. It is certainly smaller, more portable (useful in this case) and less power hungry.

The project will only be 15 minutes duration, once cut, and I have no idea about how much film they will eventually have to edit but given the schedule we are not talking the largest possible collection of files here.

So; has anyone any experience of editing 2K from this kind of SSD drive please? Are they an alternative to the lowest-of-the-low-end RAID drives? Are they fast enough to be an alternative to a G-Raid device for editing? Is 0.5T anywhere close to enough space?

Thanks hugely for your help. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: RAID or portable SSD?
on Nov 13, 2014 at 8:44:39 pm

Portable SSDs make a terrific present.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]