FORUMS: list search recent posts

Areca 8050 Weird Problem

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Rohrbach
Areca 8050 Weird Problem
on Oct 16, 2014 at 9:17:01 pm

Just had a minor personal panic: Areca 8050 disconnected itself, and when I restarted my 2013 iMac, the Areca just cycled through the drives with red and blue LEDs... and a hyphen on the LCD readout. REad about the OS X 9.4 update problem with iTunesHelper. Ditched iTunesHelper from startupitems, restarted. No change. Ummm...

Connected Areca to MacBook pro running OSX 10.7.5 - Areca started just fine, but didn't mount on the laptop. Was encouraged, but that's not a solution.

Reconnected Areca to iMac, rebooted. Voila, everything appears normal.

So presumably, something that happened in the iMac was confusing the hell out of the Areca, and it needed to be connected to an older version of OSX to basically get defibrillated or whatever, and then when reconnected to its usual machine, it did fine.

Discouraging: A call to the Areca support number has produced no response yet - 45 minutes, but still, 45 minutes can be a long time when you think your RAID just bit the dust.

Return to posts index

John Rohrbach
Re: Areca 8050 Weird Problem
on Oct 17, 2014 at 2:46:39 pm

Areca did call - 2 hours from my first call to them. Wish it was sooner, but the guy was helpful when he called, and really, 2 hours is not the end of the world. Just feels like it during the initial panic phase!

Return to posts index

Rick Foxx
on Oct 17, 2014 at 5:22:51 pm

I had a similar issue with my 8050 right after I configured the drives and was starting to load data. After rebooting the system, the 8050 came right up, so I just assumed it was settling in. Did Areca offer you any insight into what was going on?

2013 MacPro 6 core 3.5 gHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2012 rMacBook Pro, Areca ARC-8050, Final Cut Studio 3, Final Cut X, Adobe Creative Cloud, Logic X

Return to posts index

John Rohrbach
on Oct 17, 2014 at 6:14:33 pm

Nope - I didn't press them on it. They said it didn't mount on the MacBook Pro because I probably needed the drivers, but they didn't say why this would have happened or how to prevent it happening again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]