FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which RAID is best for 4 disk array?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shea A.J. Comfort
Which RAID is best for 4 disk array?
on Oct 14, 2014 at 9:56:18 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am currently looking at how to best set-up my Areca 8050 T2 8-Bay enclosure for my new Mac Pro (6-core) arriving in 1 week. This will be for my own personal home studio.

At the moment, I do mostly 70% audio, 30% video (FCPX). Video is only 1080p HD (no 2K, 4K, etc).

I am thinking of going with two, 4-disk RAID5s, using enterprise class 7200 spinner HDs. I am thinking this will give me enough speed for 1080p video and any audio needs. Having the two, 4-disk arrays will allow me to back-up one to the other (same space/size). I can offload projects to free space as needed in the future. General storage (non audio/video) will be done with external drives via USB3.

In the future, I will upgrade to SSDs once the price has dropped and the Trim issues are cleared-up. For now I trust 7200 enterprise-class spinners...;-)

Does this seem like a good way to go?

Thank you for your time, I appreciate the help.

~Shea

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Which RAID is best for 4 disk array?
on Oct 15, 2014 at 3:30:56 am

no
create an 8 bay array, RAID 6. this is the safest way to go.
And do single drive backups of this.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Shea A.J. Comfort
on Oct 15, 2014 at 7:24:48 am

Hello Bob,

Thank you for the reply. Just to clarify: if I am doing audio and video, but the video is only going to be 3 cam 1080p HD streams in FCPX, at most, wouldn't a RAID 5 for the video using 4 disks, and keeping the other 4 disks as JBODs for the audio work (and back-up) be a good way to go? Or, do you still recommend using the whole array as a RAID6 as the best approach and just back up to external single spinners?

Thank you for the help, I appreciate your insight.

~Shea

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Oct 17, 2014 at 10:11:15 pm

Bob is right. The best use of the enclosure would be a RAID-6 array. Edit your video/audio from it.
Backup to another source. If you have a catastrophic failure of controller and/or backplane and cannot get the exact same hardware, you may lose your data and backup. You don't want that.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]