FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which external Hard drive should i get?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katie dillon
Which external Hard drive should i get?
on Sep 23, 2014 at 6:59:37 am

I’ve been an editor for 10 years and have always been a Lacie person. I have 3 5TB ladies that I’ve had for 8 years and they have never gone down. That being said, when it came to buying a new 20TB drive I of course decided to go Lacie and instructed my client to do the same. He got it first and the thing went down the first day. Imagine my embarrassment and shock. I pulled out the faulty drive to see SEAGATE written on the drive and thought, ”Seagate? WTF?” Did some research and saw seagate, a company famous for drives going down, bought Lacie like two years ago, and now I’m confused about what to buy for myself.

So I wanna know, as I’ve tried looking it up on google, but can’t find up to date lists, or exactly what I want... what are peoples best suggestions for external drives that don’t fail, and run fast?

Return to posts index

Viktor Kamenický
Re: Which external Hard drive should i get?
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:17:27 pm

Every drive will eventually fail. A friend of mine bought enterprise class Hitachi drives and they were DOA.

purquoise

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Which external Hard drive should i get?
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:43:35 pm

Hi Katie -
Lacie does not make drives. They make boxes, and stick drives in them. You are looking at marketing "look, the Apple store recommends this brand", but in real life, there are only two brands of drives - Seagate and Western Digital. Even Hitachi (now called HGST) is really Western Digital. Samsung is Seagate. Same applies to Maxtor. I think (I could be wrong) that Toshiba is Western Digital with a sticker from Toshiba on it.

So all drives suck. If you had Lacie's for years that did not fail, you are very very very lucky, and should play the lottery more. You are facing what everyone faces - spinning drives cannot be trusted. You pick a company that you have good faith in, that has good support. Every drive you see advertised on Creative Cow has the actual insides (the drive itself) made by WD or Seagate (or one of their sub companies). Choose a brand that you see advertised on Creative Cow. These are all good companies.

Bob Zelin
ps - I do not use Seagate drives - period.

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]