FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drobo 5D causing lag in Avid

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Leonard
Drobo 5D causing lag in Avid
on Sep 9, 2014 at 1:56:25 pm

Hey there,

So we've been using a Drobo 5D for editing local TV commercials for a few months now. While it works, there has been some significant video lag within Avid, especially when it comes to video with a lot of layers, that didn't really exist back when we had a single external drive. We're working on a PC with Windows 7 and the Drobo is connected via USB 3.0. Videos play fine when we export them, but it's annoying to have to play things two or three times within Avid to see if they're OK, especially with clients.

Our IT department had suggested a memory upgrade for the Drobo, specifically this one, but I was told to make sure that it would fix our problem before we spend any money on it. Will it do the trick? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Drobo 5D causing lag in Avid
on Sep 9, 2014 at 3:47:11 pm

From what I read about the Drobo 5D, it doesn't really say it is designed for media handling. It is super fast for back ups. Have you run a speediest with AJA or BlackMagic speed test apps? (both are free).

And USB 3 is not the best connection for media. Thunderbolt or Firewire still trump it. SATA or SAS is better still.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Sep 9, 2014 at 6:33:33 pm

I downloaded the AJA app and it says I have a write speed of 73.9 MB/s and a read speed of 82.8 MB/s. Our old machine that doesn't have many problems writes at 92.2 MB/s and reads at 90.5 MB/s.

This review says the 5D is "aimed primarily at creative professionals (such as photo and video editors)."

This reviewer using a Mac (and presumably a Thunderbolt connector) was able to hit write speeds around 145MB/s and read speeds of just over 240MB with an mSATA SSD card (similar to the one I'm thinking about getting) and 130 MB/s write speeds and 170 MB/s read speeds without.

So...get the card, I guess?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 9, 2014 at 11:06:02 pm

My usual comment. No matter what is said about the Drobo, there is one thing that is very obvious to me, that is the #1 priority to most users. "What is the least expensive product I can buy". This is why AVID for years insisted on selling their own storage.

So instead of picking QNAP, Netgear ReadyNAS, Thecus, Synology, or one of the countless products that you see advertise here on Creative Cow, or one of the products that is talked about constantly on Creative Cow, you choose the one product that will not work - why - because is was such a good price compared to anything else.

You could pick any product that you see from any advertiser on Creative Cow, and you would have a working system right now. But your only comment (or your bosses only comment) will be "but it cost so much more than the Drobo".

Well, now you see what happens. There are no bad products advertised on Creative Cow. Unfortunately, you bought one.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]