FORUMS: list search recent posts

A thumbs up for OWC Thunderbay IV Raid 5 edition

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
A thumbs up for OWC Thunderbay IV Raid 5 edition
on Jul 30, 2014 at 10:47:18 am

Just wanted to congratulate OWC on an excellent Raid 5 solution based around the softRAID 5 software.

For someone like me with very little experience of working with Raids it has been an easy task to set up and use this product.

I read about this product through Larry Jordan.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/product-review-owc-thunderbay-4-part-2/

I've gone for the 12TB capacity and opted to buy the enclosure and hard drives separately. Initially this caused me a problem as the SoftRaid 5 software hasn't been commercially launched yet and officially is only available on the pre configured units.

But I managed to find a Beta version and was recommended to use this by SoftRAID, purchase the latest version ( V_4) and get the upgrade (5) when it is released.

The speeds I'm getting are 423.1 MB/s Write and 561.5 MB/s Read in RAID 5 and 597.9 MB/s Write and 742.7 MB/s Read in RAID 0.

I'm going to use RAID 5.

Return to posts index

Paul Factora
Re: A thumbs up for OWC Thunderbay IV Raid 5 edition
on Dec 14, 2014 at 6:49:42 am

Very cool.

I just got the exact same Raid!!!

I also put my trust in Larrys article and got the 12TB.

Was wondering exactly how you striped your drives and also why you are opting for Raid 5 as opposed to Raid 0.

Much Thanks,

-p

Return to posts index

Kiki Muchtar
on Jul 23, 2015 at 1:29:42 am

Hi Paul, I've just got the same stuff. I use RAID software available, no hardware controller. I intend to use RAID 5 or RAID 1+0, but can't be sure which is the best for the situation. Can you share your setting and the result?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Dec 10, 2015 at 9:37:00 am

Hi Paul,
RAID 5 is probably the best for video editing. RAID 0 is faster, but if one drive fails, you lose all your data. All drives act as one big drive in RAID 0. Whereas in RAID 5, even if one drive fails, you can still continue editing. You just have to replace the failed drive and the RAID would rebuild again. You don't lose any data.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Jul 31, 2015 at 3:23:14 pm

Hi Mark - How are you finding the SoftRaid? Is it working for you? I am thinking of going this way but am coming from hardware raids and have had good luck with them. what kind of read speeds are you getting with RAID 5?

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]