FORUMS: list search recent posts

G-Tech G-Speed eS RAID Single Drive Failure - How Should I Replace The Failed Drive?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Zons
G-Tech G-Speed eS RAID Single Drive Failure - How Should I Replace The Failed Drive?
on Jul 2, 2014 at 12:01:26 am

Hello Fellow Media Pros! I have a G-Speed eS four drive RAID configured as RAID5. I came back to the office this morning and discovered my HP editing PC beeping due to a RAID failure. Looking at the web-based GUI for the G-Tech RAID controller, indeed, I am seeing that one of the drives has failed:

The only problem is I have two G-Speed eS RAID units, and neither one of them is showing an amber light next on the front panel indicating which drive has failed! So, my question is, what is the safest way to determine which one of my RAIDs has the problem drive (easiest problem) and then, how do I determine which drive is the bad drive? The G-Tech site is pretty specific about not removing the WRONG drive saying that data loss may occur, so I am trying to avoid that at all costs! On the "drive status" screen in the config utility, the failed drive appears like this:

Hitachi HDS721010CLA332-JP2940HQ315ZLH
Device_1_3_2
Location 1/3/2

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I would like to start the RAID5 rebuild before any data is lost!

Jim

Return to posts index

Jim Zons
Re: G-Tech G-Speed eS RAID Single Drive Failure - How Should I Replace The Failed Drive?
on Jul 2, 2014 at 12:05:18 am

Also, I have a replacement drive arriving tomorrow. After I determine which RAID has the failed drive, would you recommend shutting down the RAID and powering it off until that other drive arrives? I am one of those guys who feels a hard drive should not be powered down for any extended period of time since it may not spin up again ... thoughts on that?

Return to posts index

Tyler Chittick
Re: G-Tech G-Speed eS RAID Single Drive Failure - How Should I Replace The Failed Drive?
on Jul 2, 2014 at 6:41:22 pm

Hi Jim!

Firstly, I would agree that you should NOT turn off the RAID until you get that new drive in there and the RAID rebuilt. According to G-Tech, the second number in the series (the 3 in 1/3/2) corresponds to the port that particular enclosure is plugged in to. The ports start at PORT1 on the left and count up as you go across (PORT1 PORT2 PORT3 PORT4 if you're looking at the back of the computer). The third number in the series (the 2 in 1/3/2) corresponds to the disk number. In these enclosures, the disk numbers start at number 1 on the top and count up as they go down:
DISK1
DISK2
DISK3
DISK4
Therefore, I would say that DISK2 in whichever enclosure is plugged in to port 3 on the eSATA card is the bad one. All of this information came from this document from the G-Tech website about the eS enclosure, specifically pages 16 to 19:
http://support.g-technology.com/sites/default/files/G-SPEED-eS-Manual-Win-1...
Please use this document to check my information and confirm before you proceed! Afterall, as they say in big red letters, and as you said, your data is at risk! Good luck!

-- Tyler

--
Tyler Chittick
Integration & Warehouse Manager
Technical Support
Maxx Digital
http://www.maxxdigital.com
tyler@maxxdigital.com
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

Gene Gilbert
on Jul 3, 2014 at 7:28:30 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your post. The drive should be on when replacing the defective drive, and should automatically go into rebuild mode. The way to identify the defective drive is the port is the second number in the location and the drive is the third, so port 3, drive 2. One thing that concerns me is the drive status is disabled, which indicates something beyond a single drive failure. Does the drive mount? If so, copy the data off right away. There may be another failure in the set. You could also try a new cable as that could be part of the issue, or try swapping drives into your other enclosure. Please let me know if you have any questions. If you like, my direct contact is eugene.gilbert@hgst.com

Regards,

Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

Return to posts index

Jim Zons
on Jul 3, 2014 at 9:46:19 pm

Tyler and Gene, thanks for the help so far! I determined which G-Speed had the issue, and the which drive was the failed drive. However, when I placed the new drive into the G-Speed, it detected the drive, but wouldn't start the rebuilding process: the "Array Maintenance" window said that the drive was "offline" ... and I can't figure out how to "kick start" the rebuilding process, or make the drive "online." The manual doesn't seem to mention what to do ... in fact it implies the rebuilding should be automatic.

The existing, original drive is not totally dead, since I can reinsert the older disk, the config utility "sees it" and the RAID returns to "critical" status and I can still access all of my files. This only lasts for a short period of time however: not enough time to simply copy all of my files off the unit and just create a totally new array.

Any thoughts about what I should do next now that the working drive is in the unit?

Return to posts index

Gene Gilbert
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:22:17 pm

Hi Jim,

That confirms my thought. Please contact me directly at eugene.gilbert@hgst.com so we can go over your case better.

Regards,

Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]