FORUMS: list search recent posts

mac pro's here now what?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Santos
mac pro's here now what?
on Sep 17, 2010 at 3:05:05 pm

Im finally all set up after 4 days of moving files, installing uninstalling blah blah. I currently have a 2010 mac pro 3.2ghz with 8gigs of ram and using Cs5, finalcut, premiere etc. I want to set up a raid system to improve my editing speeds as Ive read countless threads here saying a typical firewire drive is not going to cut it. So bottom line is I was thinking the following

getting one of these rocket raid esata cards pcie

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/576434-REG/PROAVIO_AC_2314_RAID_HighP...

THen pickign up a raid 0 from G-tech below

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650738-REG/G_Technology_GR4_2000_2TB_...

So my questions are

1. Will this improve my spead from my glyph fw 800 drives I currently use?

and

2. Whats the easiest way to protect myself from losing files with the raid 0? software backups to another drive or am I able to create a raid 1 enviornment based on the two of these drives?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Im still super new so if I got something wrong my bad.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: mac pro's here now what?
on Sep 17, 2010 at 9:05:13 pm

1. Will this improve my spead from my glyph fw 800 drives I currently use?

REPLY - NO !

and

2. Whats the easiest way to protect myself from losing files with the raid 0? software backups to another drive or am I able to create a raid 1 enviornment based on the two of these drives?

REPLY -
the answer to every question in life -
1) how do I get a nicer car
2) how do I get a hotter girlfriend
3) how do I increase the performance of my editing system -

ANSWER - SPEND MORE MONEY. A Firewire drive performance will not increase no matter what you do. Answer - SPEND MORE MONEY and get a multi thousand dollar RAID array. Don't have any money ? Put internal SATA drives inside your new MAC Pro, create a RAID 0 with the 3 internal drives (you don't need a RAID card to do this) and you will get over 250MB/sec perforamnce, blowing the doors off of your useless Glyph FW drive.

RAID 1 sucks - want to protect yourself - you need a RAID 5 array. Highpoint, while I do not recommend them, makes RAID 5 host adaptor cards (yes they cost more money), and you get yourself a SAS drive enclosure that is compatible with your Highpoint card. If this is all too much work, companies like Sonnet, Cal Digit, Maxx Digital, G-Tech, and countless others make wonderful prefab RAID 5 arrays that will do exactly what you want, and give you the protection you want.

"But I have no money, and I want all the performance - what do I do" -
nothing, like in the Who song Magic Bus "you can't have it".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Frank Santos
on Sep 18, 2010 at 12:49:40 am

HI Bob,

Thanks for your prompt response! Sorry if my post was not clear. So your saying getting a esata pcie card for my mac pro that pushes out 600mbs and an esata drive (g tech raid) that has transfer speeds of 200mbs wont be an improvemt speed? I read that firewire has max capacity of 80mbs for second so going to the esata would be more than double. I have about 1000 to spend that should cover an entry level upgrade I would assume.

Once again thanks for your help.

So bottom line is I need to get away from firewire and into a sata or esata correct.

Return to posts index

Frank Santos
on Sep 18, 2010 at 4:24:29 am

just ordered two internal satas not basd 300 bucks and it will blow the doors off my glyphs which were 300 each lol.... Being an audio guy I really never had a problem with the drives until I started editing 1080p video holy smokes!! ... So is it as simple as installing the two then creating a raid 0 in disk utilities?.....

Next question is when editing on this raid drive do you recommend I put the actual software on it or just the video content im editing/dslr footage?

Cheers,
frank

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Sep 18, 2010 at 12:10:38 pm

Frank,

Just media/project data on your raid.

apps os on internal. I'd recommend a 2nd internal that is a clone of your osx install. (SuperDuper app)

for cheap free backup get dropbox and at least backup your project files to it.

for keeping these in sync i use ChronoSync

s

Return to posts index

Frank Santos
on Sep 18, 2010 at 2:37:50 pm

Great! Thanks Simon that helps alot! so in essence I will need one more drive. 2 for the raid I just odered than one to back up to with the software.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 18, 2010 at 3:38:41 pm

Frank writes -
Next question is when editing on this raid drive do you recommend I put the actual software on it or just the video content im editing/dslr footage?

Oh come on Frank. You are an audio guy, right ? Do you put your Pro Tools program on your external Glyph drives, or do you keep it on your MAC HD. You know the answer to this. Your media is all that goes onto your new "dual internal SATA" array.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Frank Santos
on Sep 18, 2010 at 10:00:16 pm

lol....Bob Love your candidness!! That is how we do it in protools land but I've seen weirder things in the video realm. Well I should be okay now thanks guys for your help!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]