FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stardom SOHORAID SR2-WBS3 - Not Recognising New Toshiba 3TB Drives

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Chapman
Stardom SOHORAID SR2-WBS3 - Not Recognising New Toshiba 3TB Drives
on May 20, 2014 at 12:53:46 pm

Hi,

I have a Stardom SOHORAID SR2-WBS3 which I purchased in February 2012.

At the same time I bought 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB drives to go in it in a Raid 1 setup, eSata connected to a 32Bit Win7 system. The drives are now full.

Today I purchased 2 x Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB drives (which I understand are just rebadged Hitachi Desktar 7K3000's), replaced the Hitachi's in the Stardom raid, connected it via eSata, but the Win7 system would not recognise that the raid was attached.

Thinking this was due to my 32Bit system's incompatibility with 3TB drives, I moved the Stardom raid to a 64bit system, but used USB 3.0 to connect (as there is no eSata on that system). The system picks up that a USB 3.0 device is connected, but the raid disk does not show up under "Computer".

I decided to start again. I turned off the Stardom raid, pulled out the secondary drive, switched on the raid, got an alarm that the secondary drive is missing, placed the secondary drive back, and hoped it made some difference.

Well, the Stardom status LCS panel now says, "Rebuilding...Pri => Sec" followed by a percentage of progress (33% at the moment).

Not sure what is going on here.
How can I get my Win7 64 bit system via USB 3.0 to recognise the raid?
Can I get the 32bit system via eSata to recognise the raid, even though it has 3TB drives?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: Stardom SOHORAID SR2-WBS3 - Not Recognizing New Toshiba 3TB Drives
on May 20, 2014 at 7:16:30 pm
Last Edited By Jon Schilling on May 20, 2014 at 7:19:00 pm

Paul.

You simulated a drive failure by pulling a drive, so it's doing exactly what it indicates, "Rebuilding...Pri => Sec" rebuilding the Primary drive onto the secondary. See what happens when it finishes rebuilding because it's too late now to do anything else. I would hope that you have your data backed up somewhere else also.....

Jonathan Schilling
Senior Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

Paul Chapman
on May 21, 2014 at 12:19:07 am

Thanks John.

These are new drives, so no data to back up yet. The rebuilding is now finished. Status says "Pri HDD:OK, Sec HDD:OK".

However, my Win7,64bit system shows there is a USB 3.0 device connected, but no disk shows up under "Computer".

Any further suggestions?

Cheers,
Paul.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on May 21, 2014 at 1:20:01 am
Last Edited By Jon Schilling on May 21, 2014 at 1:21:43 am

Well, that's good.

Your manual would help, I found a link, bottom of this page:

http://www.stardom.com.tw/sohoraid_sr2_spec.html

Jon

Return to posts index

Paul Chapman
on May 22, 2014 at 4:28:18 am

Thanks Jon.

I did already read through that manual, but it is really a specs sheet. The actual manual is here: http://www.stardom.com.tw/stardom_products_data/sohoraid_series/sr2/2011_sr...

I followed the instructions up to step 4. The manual then says, "When the SR2 has completed initializing, your computer’s operating system should recognize the device automatically. Please follow the formatting instructions given by the operating system to format the drives. Once the formatting has been completed, the system is ready for use."

Well, my 64Bit Win7 system, via USB3.0, recognises that the SR@-WBS3 is connected, but no disk shows up in "Computer", so I cannot format the drives. :-(

Volume information shows nothing, I assume as disks aren't formated:

"Computer" shows no SR2-WBS3 attached drive connected:

Any thoughts? Is USB3.0 campatible with drives over 2.19TB on Win7 64bit?

Thanks,
Paul.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 22, 2014 at 9:21:58 pm
Last Edited By Frank Gothmann on May 22, 2014 at 9:25:16 pm

Paul, this is not how you usually format drives in Win7. That drive has not been partitioned so you cannot format it.
Go to your startmenu. Right-click on computer, go "manage". In the window that opens go to the drives section. You should get a pop-up telling you that there is a new drive present that needs formatting.
In any case, you should see the drive there and you should be able to partition and then format the drive from this window.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Paul Chapman
on May 22, 2014 at 11:50:54 pm

Thank you so much, Frank. Drives are now formatted and recognized.

As you can tell, I hardly ever format drives. Much appreciated. All is good. :-)

Thank you too, Jon.

Cheers,
Paul.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on May 23, 2014 at 12:32:43 am

No problem, we're here to help.

Jonathan Schilling
Senior Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

Paul Chapman
on May 26, 2014 at 2:16:08 pm

BTW, I researched a bit, and it turns out my Win7 32bit system will recognise 3Tb drives formatted as GPT partition style, which is what I did with the drives in the Stardom SR2-WBS3. So all is good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]