FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing up RAID0

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Christian
Backing up RAID0
on Apr 17, 2014 at 1:23:42 pm

This is a rather simple question that seems to of gotten very complicated. I have just built my first editing PC and have a two disk 6TB RAID0 running of the motherboard. My OS and programs are on a SSD which I was planning on making a system image of with a USB recovery drive so that if it goes south or just needs upgrading I can boot from the USB and place the image onto the new or old formatted SSD. All of this can be done from with in Windows 8.1. This is my plan but I'm very new, about a week , to PC's and Windows so if anything sounds like madness please say so.
The real issue is backing up my Media drive, the RAID0. I have another 4TB HDD in this system too which is where the system image will be and my Media Cache and I would like to back the RAID up onto here but Windows as far as I can tell wont do this so dose anyone know what the best way of going about this would be? Should I be partitioning this too?

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: Backing up RAID0
on Apr 17, 2014 at 2:30:22 pm

I would probably get a different drive to backup to. Or get a different cache drive - an SSD might be a good option for that. But for backup, it would be best to be able to remove from your computer. Lightning strike could take out your computer and everything attached to it. And I would use software to do backups. I've used xxclone for cloning system disks (and you can do incremental backups to that system disk, which is way cool - plug it in and boot up when you need to). xxclone.com, but you would need to contact them to find out if they are running it on Win8, their site only states up to Win7. There's also http://www.backup-utility.com/, which I haven't used, but seems very similar to function as xxclone.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

Neil Christian
Re: Backing up RAID0
on Apr 18, 2014 at 8:43:40 pm

Thanks for the reply, why do you think it's a bad idea for the cache and the backup to be on the same drive? I shall have a external backup of important stuff, this is just to make replacing one of the drives as convenient and quick as possible should it fail or become corrupt. I guess a clone sounds like a good idea, I could put a 500GB HDD and have it in the computer so that I could boot from it, but then I could not clone it onto the new SSD, or could I? In which case I would have to boot from the USB anyhow so the system Image would be much the same thing would t it? There seems to be a few good cloning programs out there. I'm still a bit lost on how to back up the RAID though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]