FORUMS: list search recent posts

G-drive Constantly Crashes when Transferring (Error -36)

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JohnBen Lacy
G-drive Constantly Crashes when Transferring (Error -36)
on Mar 7, 2014 at 3:49:45 pm

I have two 2TB G-drives which I would like to keep identical. I was working on a project and I copied the media to both drives, and worked off of DRIVE 01 for the duration of the project. Now that the project is complete, I was going to drag over the complete folder from DRIVE 01 to DRIVE 02 so that the two drives would be identical.

Every time I attempt to do so, I received this error: "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "music" can't be read or written. (Error code -36)"

This also always causes DRIVE 02 to dismount with the error (or scolding rather) "The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off."

This happens every time I have tried to copy this project over and I can't seem to figure it out. I don't believe there is truly an error in the "music" folder because each time this error occurs, it lists a different folder (i.e. "CARD 01", "exports" etc.)

The file system is Mac OS Extended.

Here is a screen grab of the errors:

I know this probably isn't the ideal workflow of manually syncing drives, but I don't see a reason why this error should keep occurring. Both drives checked out ok when run through Disk Repair.

Any ideas? Or perhaps suggestions for a better method?

Return to posts index

Gene Gilbert
Re: G-drive Constantly Crashes when Transferring (Error -36)
on Mar 10, 2014 at 5:50:06 pm

Hi JohnBen,

Thanks for your post. The error you are seeing is a general I/O error. Does this happen if you copy in the other direction? There may be a firmware update that could possibly address this. Please contact me at with the model number and serial number of the drive and we can take it from there. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Gene Gilbert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved