FORUMS: list search recent posts

Synology DS414 and FCPX on an iMac? Newbie struggling with RAID

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Winston
Synology DS414 and FCPX on an iMac? Newbie struggling with RAID
on Feb 12, 2014 at 1:50:45 pm

Hi there,

With a business that's growing at a reasonable speed, I've got to the stage where I've had enough of being surrounded by piles of HDDs and am looking at a RAID solution. It's mainly to house a 1TB odd library of images (growing, naturally), plus an exponentially increasing amount of video data. And what I want to know is whether the DS414 is going to do the job?

Basically, I've looked at solutions in the realm of £1,200+ and then came across the DS414 which is fast and around £700+ for a 12TB setup. The question, then, is whether it will connect and work well with my main editing machine which is a 21.5 inch mid 2011 iMac, 12GB RAM with an AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 graphics card. And I'm running OSX 10.9.

I guess I'm confused mainly about the Gigabit ethernet connection and wether I can connect this directly (and successfully) to the iMac. I also use a faster MBP when on the road - would it be feasible to connect this too by simply switching the cable? And if the ethernet isn't suitable for editing then is there a thunderbolt or firewire 800 converter that might work?

Sorry if these are totally NOOB questions, but I'm not familiar with RAID and want to know whether the DS414 is going to save my life or make it more complicated!

Thanks for any help!

Ben

PS - any thoughts on how I'd create an offsite backup of a RAID if I go down this path?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]