FORUMS: list search recent posts

[MAC editing system] fast storage and backup big DATA

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlo Aaron
[MAC editing system] fast storage and backup big DATA
on Jan 20, 2014 at 12:44:23 pm

Hi everyone!

so.. I'm an editor and I need to understand I can edit with a scalable system.
In a few words:
1) Actually I'm using a mac pro 5,1 but in order to make this investment in storage I'm thing about thunderbold system (like nMP or Imac)
2) I need an external storage scalable (for example: every one year I have to be able to add disks)
3) I need a backup system
4) I do not need a shared system because I work alone in my studio
5) I do not have much money like a video facility or big studios, so I can spend a limited budged (so no SAS.. or expensive system)

Actually I'm edit on FCP7 on MP but probably I'll jump on FCPX in a few months, or whatever.. maybe :)

thank you!

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: [MAC editing system] fast storage and backup big DATA
on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:06:40 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:09:20 pm

A lot depends on the speed you need. One of the simplest systems is JBOD USB 3. An enclosure like this. Get an eSATA card for your Mac Pro and then if you upgrade use the USB 3.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HF2-SU3S2-ProBox-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B003X2...

USB 3 is plenty fast for individual drives.

Before we had centralized storage we used bare drives. We never deleted anything from the drives just added new drives when they became full. We basically have the same system now, but with partitioned drives on a NAS system backed up to individual drives. We are now up to drive 60. The advantages of this are simplicity, unlimited expansion and instant recovery if anything goes wrong.

So each drive has two mirrors, one stored off site. We run nightly backups on the active drives so they stay the same.

If you want a thunderbolt RAID 5 enclosure then I would partition logical drives, say start at Drive01 for 4 TB. Then have two 4 TB bare drives for backup. Run a synchronization each night to one of those drives. Store the other one offsite. Then swap the two periodically. Chronosync is a good program to handle synchronization. Once Drive01 fills up, make sure both drives are synchronized, then delete the partition and add a new partition, say Drive02. Continue the process. So active projects are always on the RAID. Older projects are on two backup drives that you can mount with a USB 3 enclosure. One is always stored offsite.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]