FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mobile shared editing storage

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Glass
Mobile shared editing storage
on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:36:43 pm

Hello,
Last year we got to the position (as I've read many others on here have) where we needed a shared storage solution for our 5 edit suites, as we couldn't deal with the multiple hard drives and copying of footage between them all. We eventually went for a 32tb GB Labs Space drive and it revolutionised our workflow and I wonder how we managed without it.
We have now come across the same issue when we are editing on site away from the Space drive and the quick turnaround of footage from multiple camera teams for press for same day use becomes a slow, painful and sometimes complicated affair.
There is sadly no way I can justify the purchase of a second Space server and after a lot of searching I still can't find anything suitable...what do you find works?
It needs to give the following -
4tb - 8tb storage (ideally upgradeable in the future)
RAID operation
The ability for a minimum of 2 editors to work from the drive simultaneously, ideally 2 editors and 1 DIT ingest machine.
Ethernet connections - we usually work on a mix of Mac Pro and Retina laptops so Ethernet or a retina compatible alternative
Footage would usually be Xdcam HD, 50mbps 25fps.
Some edits would be multicam so fast enough to handle multiple streams would be best and allow for a little headroom
Editing on FCP7 or adobe CC, after effects CC.
A budget of around 1-1.5kGBP exc drives
Hope that's enough to go on, I keep coming across little companies promising lots (and some do look good) but I would love some real world experience and feedback before I purchase.
Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
Re: Mobile shared editing storage
on Jan 7, 2014 at 10:53:30 am

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a system where 3 MBPs running FCPs can ingest and share footage on-site, preferably projects too.
Two options I found were the Editshare Field 2 or the Editshare Ultra. It is a bit expensive but both Avid MCs and FCPs can share media.
Would like to see what the others suggest. I have to decide wtihin a week's time.
What about the Caldigit Supershare? Could be more expensive than the Editshare.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

David Glass
on Jan 7, 2014 at 5:44:42 pm
Last Edited By David Glass on Jan 7, 2014 at 5:54:06 pm

I have had a quick look at those systems and i think the Editshare systems look very good but i need to do a bit more digging to find exact prices as most places were POA. They do look a bit 'over spec'ed' for what we need. Maybe im being unrealistic with the price (The Space drive was about 15k!) but i was hoping for maybe a 4 or 5 drive mini system. Think Drobo box size but spec'ed for video (i.e. not so slow) Maybe there is not a solution without paying a lot more? Anyone else had any experience with this?
....couldnt find a stockist for the Caldigit Supershare but this looks promising. Its on their UK website but once you hit find a reseller im yet to find one, think it may have been superseded?

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 7, 2014 at 8:34:43 pm

[Kannan Raghavan] "Two options I found were the Editshare Field 2 or the Editshare Ultra. It is a bit expensive but both Avid MCs and FCPs can share media."

Have you looked at SNS Evo by any chance? File/volume, Avid bin locking, compatibility with FCP(X) and Adobe CS/CC, some cool things like ShareBrowser (lightweight MAM)... Starts at $7K I believe...

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 7, 2014 at 8:39:22 pm

Small-Tree GraniteSTOR TitaniumZ-5 is $7.K for 10TB.

Other than lower cost NAS and SAN boxes from vendors specializing in video (GB Labs, EditShare, SNS, Maxx, etc.) you could look either at DIY or generic NAS from the likes of QNAP, Synology, Thecus.

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Jan 8, 2014 at 12:54:15 am

Thanks for the suggestions Alex. The Granitstor Titanium Z5 is very interesting. Will look into that.
Hope you find your solution David.

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

Duncan Beattie
on Jan 8, 2014 at 2:14:02 pm

Hi David

Glad to hear you are so happy with your 32TB unit. We also do a range of portable solutions which will work in the same way. Also with our new V3 you can use workflow tools to move data back from your field unit to your main storage to keep your files safe.

http://www.gblabs.co.uk/products/Mini_Space/

Very happy to give you a call to discuss.

many thanks

Duncan

Duncan Beattie
Global Product Manager
GB Labs LLP
duncan (@) gblabs.co.uk
http://www.gblabs.co.uk

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Jan 8, 2014 at 6:57:24 pm

I tested the Small Tree TitaniumZ-5 over the summer and it was awesome. It has four 1GbE ports built in. it has a single card slot so you can add more 1GbE or 10GbE ports, or even an SAS card for expansion. It's about as plug and play as this niche can get. A client of mine bought one for field production for Red Bull events. He uses it almost exactly as you describe.

You could also look at building a shared system around a Thunderbolt RAID, a Mac Mini, a Thunderbolt 10GbE adapter and a 10GbE switch. More expensive and more parts, but very capable and gives you expansion options.

You definitely need to raise your budget though. The TZ-5 is about as inexpensive as you can get without going DIY and building your own NAS.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 9, 2014 at 3:26:12 am

Hi David -
while I could say "you should use Brand X" - I am amazed by two things in this post. 1 - you own a GB Labs Space. You know it works. You know they make a portable system. Yet you want to consider "something else". Why ? Well I know why.

So, you have been given wonderful advice by many smart people on this forum, mentioning the same brands that always get mentioned. And they are all good companies, and they all work.

But my unnecessary reply here is not to further recommend a brand, but to denounce a suggestion that you made in one of your posts in this thread. You are NOT going to use a Drobo for this. You are not going to spend $1500 and get a working solution. You will spend the correct amount of money, and get something that works, and not some piece of crap that was never designed to be a shared storage system, and try to "jury rig" it so you can avoid spending the correct amount. You already know that GB Labs makes a great product. You have been given wonderful advice in this thread on multiple brands that will all work for you - all wonderful companies, with wonderful support. But I guess I am getting hypersensitive (and have been so for quite some time), about people that have only one concern - "what is the LEAST amount of money that I can spend to get this to work". You are a pro - buy professional equipment that will do the job, not some piece of crap.

Bob Zelin
ps - thunderbolt networking as of 1/8/2014 DOES NOT WORK, so you can't get a Mac mini, or even a new Mac Pro, rig up some Tbolt 2 laptops with Thunderbolt cables, and have shared storage. It doesn't work.

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Jan 9, 2014 at 4:32:54 pm

I just have to add a reply and say I love Bob's posts :)

As for thunderbolt networking, I had it setup for Kaku Ito in Japan so he could fly to Hawaii and take pictures of stars with 3 macs. It seemed to be working fine, but it was not quite as intuitive as I thought it would be (it bridged automatically and we had to edit the bridge and fiddle around to make it the way we wanted).

I'd like to say all of these vendors (including Small Tree) spend time working on performance, video editing and all the ancillary things that go with that (meta-data, sharing, latency, scaling, cross platform compatibility). For the most part, we aren't just plugging crap together. There's some promise of performance and functionality.

We spend time patching drivers and kernels, looking at how the apps like to read, and measuring latency to make sure things will work correctly (like FCP X and NFS, which seems to be a thing now).

I realize we seem more expensive, but we do an awful lot of work before we can get a box out the door and claim it works.

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Jan 9, 2014 at 5:03:29 am

Hi Eric. I'm still waiting for quotes from Small Tree, Edit share, SNS, and GB Labs.
With the Small Tree TitaniumZ-5, you just hook up the MBPs with a ethernet cable, right?
Cheers

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:06:37 am

[Kannan Raghavan] "With the Small Tree TitaniumZ-5, you just hook up the MBPs with a ethernet cable, right? "

Yup. The first time you use it, you have to set it up (which Small Tree support can guide you through, if you need). But after that, it's plug and play over ethernet.

During my testing, I was getting 600MB/s read and write over 10GbE. So there's plenty of bandwidth for a laptop or 2 to be writing to the RAID while a few read from the RAID on their 1GbE connections.

My client has had his for 6-9 months. If you want, I could put you in touch with him and he can give you his field-tested experience with it.

Thanks

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Jan 9, 2014 at 9:09:29 am

Thanks a lot Eric. It'd be great to find out from an end user before I actually write a check.
I really like the Titanium Z5, just got a quote from a local reseller too.

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Jan 9, 2014 at 5:15:01 am

Hi Duncan,
The Mini looks great. Can I hook up three MacBook Pros to this with just ethernet cables?
Two of the MBPs would be ingesting and editing simultaneously. I work in ProRes 422, either 1080i50 or 1080i60. Would I have enough throughput for all three clients?

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

Duncan Beattie
on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:33:10 am

Hi Kannan

Many thanks for your interest. The Mini comes with a single 4 port 1GBe card allowing you to connect up to four direct devices or bond to a switch. We can deliver up to 116Mb/Sec over GBe allowing you to pull 4 streams of ProRes 422 HQ 25, for example. We also have options for 10Gbe in the Mini.

A worldwide news agency has over 50 of our systems and they use the Mini for their journalists in the field, to ingest and edit, producing over 700 hours of broadcast for London 2012.

The Mini will deliver over the network, at maximum simultaneous peak, 10 streams of 422 HQ 25. This is 10 streams of independent media being pulled at exactly the same second. If you add in stop start editing and media sharing then real world performance is higher but difficult to quantify. That being said Performance has never been an issue for our systems. This is reason our solutions were developed in 2006. High speed open NAS.

In your environment capturing a stream will normally use the equivalent of 2 write streams however we have technology in our systems that allow switching between Editing and Production modes to prevent cache dumps to disk.

The Mini also has options for Mirrored OS Disk, Dual PSU and DC Power. It fits great in a Peli case so can travel as luggage on airlines.

If you go to this page and click on the tab at the bottom you will see the performance figures for the Mini.
http://www.gblabs.co.uk/products/Mini_Space/

I hope this helps.

yours

Duncan

Duncan Beattie
Global Product Manager
GB Labs LLP
duncan (@) gblabs.co.uk
http://www.gblabs.co.uk

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Jan 10, 2014 at 7:59:27 am

Thanks for the info Duncan. I'm looking into three similar systems to find the right fit for my needs:)

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

David Glass
on Jan 9, 2014 at 9:00:53 am

Thanks Duncan, and thanks everyone for the advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]