FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pegasus2 R8 or R6

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
Pegasus2 R8 or R6
on Dec 21, 2013 at 8:46:48 pm

I am currently planning my move from my old 2008 Mac Pro and eSATA RAID to the new Mac Pro Tube and Thunderbolt 2 using Promise's Pegasus2.

With my limited knowledge on this topic, I'm not sure how to properly quantify the benefits or differences between the R6 and R8 models.

I'm assuming more drives should provide higher transfer rates. I'm not editing 4K, so I'm not sure if it matters. I work with plain old HD, either XDCAM EX, or the over compressed stuff from DSLRs and Go Pros.

Will more drives let me sleep any better at night, in terms of reliability?

Would having 8 drives mean that RAID 6 (as opposed to RAID 5) might be a viable option. For some reason, I like the idea of being able to survive 2 drive failures.

The 24 TB R8 is probably more storage than I need, but then I'm guessing it would be better to have 8 3TB drives less full than 6 3TB drives.

Cost is not number 1 on my priority list. I'm willing to pay more if I'm getting more. Especially reliability. Even if it's cerebral. At least in the price range I'm considering.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Pegasus2 R8 or R6
on Dec 21, 2013 at 9:51:56 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "Cost is not number 1 on my priority list. I'm willing to pay more if I'm getting more. Especially reliability. Even if it's cerebral. At least in the price range I'm considering."

All your points are well considered. Flexibility and efficiency (RAID6, hot spare, etc.), speed, capacity... R8 if the budget allows.

Go with the

variety if there's budget for that. (Hahaha I am so funny.)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Pegasus2 R8 or R6
on Dec 23, 2013 at 9:42:33 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "I'm assuming more drives should provide higher transfer rates. I'm not editing 4K, so I'm not sure if it matters. I work with plain old HD, either XDCAM EX, or the over compressed stuff from DSLRs and Go Pros."

An 8-drive array will have approximately 25% more bandwidth/throughput than a 6-drive array. Very simply stated, anytime you double the number of spinning disks in an array, you effectively double the throughput of a RAID subsystem.

In this case, you're adding 25% more spinning disks, so your increase in throughput is approximately 25% greater.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]