FORUMS: list search recent posts

NLE System Config Recommendation?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Wells
NLE System Config Recommendation?
on Dec 17, 2013 at 5:45:41 pm

Don't know if this belongs in this Forum but I have the task of configuring two video edit stations for a corporation. We will be utilizing Adobe Creative Cloud and editing with Premiere Pro. My experience is with Avid but Adobe seems to make more sense to me ath this time. Mac will be our platform.

We will be primarily producing a high volume of product videos of 2 to 3 minutes in length using C300 and 5D. We have close to 100 in the pipeline so we will be hitting the ground running. I have another editor/motion graphics artist who will be joining me.

My background is as a DP/Editor so I'm a little green as far as system configs/raid storage/backup, etc.. The IT dept here is a also green in regards to video system configs. I was originally informed that I would have the aid of a consultant but was then told to figure it out on my own.

I will say that we will not be going with the new MacPro - I feel I need proven hardware to start. The two systems may have to stand alone for now but I want to be set up to make the transition to a shared system in the future if the demands call for it.

I guess I could just order the most powerful iMac with 32g Ram, etc. and and add a RAID0 storage solution and go from there.

I want to present the budget decision makers with the best system possible in hopes that they will approve it - if they don't I could scale things down. Any advice, specs, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: NLE System Config Recommendation?
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:31:19 pm

Hi David,

First, welcome to the Cow.

Please feel free to give me a call at 949-861-2709. I'll give you advice you with NO strings attached.

David

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

David Wells
on Dec 17, 2013 at 8:25:01 pm

Thank you David! Will do.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 17, 2013 at 8:06:13 pm

[David Wells] "I guess I could just order the most powerful iMac with 32g Ram, etc. and and add a RAID0 storage solution and go from there. "

I think you're on the right track with that, and it's a fairly cost effective solution. The media storage can be a Promise Pegasus, Area/CineRAID or G-RAID TB box.

Cow's esteemed Walter Biscardi runs similar configurations in his shop and seems to be very happy with them.

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 17, 2013 at 8:52:15 pm

Alex's advice is accurate. But the RAID's he recommends are RAID5 protected, which is absolutely what you should choose, instead of RAID0.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

David Wells
on Dec 19, 2013 at 1:26:43 am

Thank you Bob. I'm assuming RAID5 is the way to go because of redundancy without too much compromise in speed?

Return to posts index

David Wells
on Dec 19, 2013 at 1:24:33 am

Thank you Alex. Taking this advice into consideration.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]