FORUMS: list search recent posts

Networking between two edit suites

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Jones
Networking between two edit suites
on Dec 2, 2013 at 7:58:57 pm

Hi Guys,
I hope this is the right section to post in, at the moment we have a small edit suite consisting of two pcs running the adobe suite. We are constantly switching hard drives round and it is very frustrating. Basically I was wondering if we could network the two pcs and run all projects off of either pc? I know that it is easy to network them via ethernet but is this advised? If not what would people recommend?

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Networking between two edit suites
on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:36:43 pm

Two issues to worry about: (1) will the network be fast enough for your needs, and (2) how will potential conflicts be handled when two people attempt to access the same project files. If (2) never happens, then (1) is the main potential challenge.

You can start very cheap: share a volume / folder on one of your PCs and connect to it from another. I'd perhaps make two such shared volumes: one for source (and encoded) files, the other one for projects. Then see if editing on the 2nd PC with those shared files is tolerable. If not, you'd have to take a look where the bottlenecks are, possibly they can be addressed with a few configurations changes, possibly by upgrading your networking or storage hardware.

(If the PCs can each connect to the Internet then they're likely already networked, and just need to have their settings adjusted so they can "see" each other - unless they already do.)

Hope this helps.

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Dave Jones
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:38:10 pm

Two issues to worry about: (1) will the network be fast enough for your needs, and (2) how will potential conflicts be handled when two people attempt to access the same project files. If (2) never happens, then (1) is the main potential challenge.

Thanks for the awesome reply Alex very helpful!

We would never work on the same projects as I know this isn't do-able but obviously speed maybe an issue is their any software or way to measure the speed? We mainly work with DSLR footage within AE and Premiere

Thanks in Advance,
Dave

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 3, 2013 at 1:07:27 am
Last Edited By Alex Gerulaitis on Dec 3, 2013 at 11:07:08 pm

[Dave Jones] " is their any software or way to measure the speed?"

iPerf for the technically minded; you could also use disk benchmark (e.g. Blackmagic Speed Test) on a shared volume.

Return to posts index

Dave Jones
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:38:35 pm

Thanks for the awesome reply Alex very helpful!

We would never work on the same projects as I know this isn't do-able but obviously speed maybe an issue is their any software or way to measure the speed?

Thanks in Advance,
Dave

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 3, 2013 at 12:14:00 am

Hi -
there is lots of software that will allow you to measure network bandwidth.

To be clear - are you on Win 7 PC's, or are you on MAC OS X systems ? I know that you are running Adobe software.

Bottom line - you are going to have to have a single computer that acts as a server for your two PC's. Be it a Win 7 or OS X Mac computer, you need a dedicated computer to act as a server. And this dedicated server will run your large drive array that will be shared between your two computers. You will run Ethernet cables from the server computer to each of your client computers. If you are using a computer like the Mac Pro or HP Z series, they will have dual Ethernet ports. If you are not, you will need additional NIC cards on your PC's or USB-Ethernet port adaptors on your Macs.

Your drive array needs to be fast enough to support two computers. So a single internal SATA drive will NOT be fast enough to allow two computers to play back media from the same internal hard drive.

If you have a nice PC, or Mac Pro lying around, that you can dedicate as your server, and can attach your drive array to this dedicated computer, you will use File Sharing to allow for shared storage. If you say "well, we don't have the budget to get another computer to act as a server" - then you can't have shared storage that will actually work. We are basically building a simple NAS from existing parts to make this work for you. But you need hardware to make this happen.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 3, 2013 at 1:44:11 am

[Bob Zelin] "If you are using a computer like the Mac Pro or HP Z series, they will have dual Ethernet ports. If you are not, you will need additional NIC cards on your PC's or USB-Ethernet port adaptors on your Macs. "

What about using a router or a switch if the performance demands aren't that high, and they don't plan to play complex timelines simultaneously?

[Bob Zelin] "So a single internal SATA drive will NOT be fast enough to allow two computers to play back media from the same internal hard drive."

Perhaps not simultaneously. Even that - depends on the formats. Several 35Mbs dSLR streams can be handled by a single SATA drive I believe.

Return to posts index

Dave Jones
on Dec 4, 2013 at 12:28:23 am

Hi Both,

Thanks for the in-depth replies, a really nice insight and very helpful!

As you have both mentioned complications with speed etc. and by not having a 3rd PC handy to run as a server/NAS system, from my limited knowledge would it be best to invest in a NAS system like Lacie,drobo etc offer? And what models if any would you recommend?

As asked for earlier, both machines are running Windows 7 but if going for a NAS system would be nice to network the office imac as well.

I imagine 6tb running as RAID 1 would be perfect in terms of capacity for us as we are constantly archiving files off-site so never have to bigger build up.

Sorry for the somewhat vague probably mis-lead questions, but currently in a blackhole of storage and network solutions aha

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:02:11 am

I'd look at a 4- or 5-bay NAS boxes from Thecus or QNAP.

Although even before that, I'd test the speed of file transfers between the two Win7 systems. A Mac can be networked to them w/o a dedicated NAS.

RAID5, 6 or 10.

4+ bays allows for much greater speed and configuration versatility - which is why I am not suggesting 2-bay units.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]