FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proavio EB400CR Numbers Wanted Still

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Ober
Proavio EB400CR Numbers Wanted Still
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:59:54 pm

This is frustrating.

I too am looking for real numbers for throughput using SATA 6Gb/s from my Mac Pro.

Anybody run a test? AJA test preferably. RAID 0, please. Proavio website shows a test with JBOD and RAID 0 should beat that but does it?

I am interested in the 8TB version and am ready to checkout at Videoguys.

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober
PS: Started new thread as some of you are not viewing by date. Please view the lists of posts by date so you don't miss updates to old threads.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: Proavio EB400CR
on Nov 14, 2013 at 4:41:57 pm
Last Edited By Jon Schilling on Nov 14, 2013 at 4:43:24 pm

Hey Robert,

I know you placed an order on the Combo RAID, which would have arrived yesterday, let us know how it's going?

The numbers posted on our website: http://www.proavio.com/index.php/products/desktop/eb400cr were real world numbers, RAID 5 with USB 3.0 but nothing RAID 0 with any of the I/O was posted:

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Nov 14, 2013 at 4:56:03 pm
Last Edited By Robert Ober on Nov 14, 2013 at 4:58:52 pm

Hey,

Yeah, USB3 numbers don't help those of us on Mac Pros. And some of users with experience think USB is crap. Also, if one is doing video one should use RAID 0 for the speed and have a proper backup routine.

The EB400CR is a well made box. Unfortunately it came with no CD or manual. This was a drop ship from you folks, by the way. Also, the performance over Esata from an ATTO H680 SAS Host Bust Adapter is dissappointing. Why use 6G drives with 3G interface in the box? I will post a screen shot but even after repartitioning (to make sure all is correct) and updating/flashing the ATTO card and drivers, I get about 197 write and 245 read.

For what the EB400CR costs I would expect a 6G interface and subsequent performance. Been an IT guy for many years so I do understand performance costs.

Sincerely,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Nov 14, 2013 at 5:41:57 pm

Robert,

Information, including the Manual for the EB400CR can be found here: http://www.proavio.com/index.php/support/support-resources/downloads/viewca...

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
12221 Florence Ave.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Nov 14, 2013 at 5:58:59 pm

Yep,

Of course I did download the stuff.

No comment on my questions/complaints? As in why put a 3G interface to 6G drives?

The info shows 500MB/s with and asterisk but no footnote that I can find that explains it. If I put two together then I get that? How?

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Nov 14, 2013 at 6:06:53 pm
Last Edited By Jon Schilling on Nov 14, 2013 at 6:55:25 pm

Robert,

What page on our website (EB400CR) quotes 500MB/s? I don't see that indicated for the Combo RAID EB400CR product.

You also indicated you're using a H680 card, which is 6G mini-SAS, not eSATA, are you using a fan out cable (mini-SAS to eSATA) from the host bus card?

The EB400CR is a 6G backplane interface. I'm not sure I'm understanding your questions correctly, you're welcome to give us a call & speak to a technician. We just want to make sure that we understand your workflow in it's entirety.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
12221 Florence Ave.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Nov 15, 2013 at 2:34:38 am

What page on our website (EB400CR) quotes 500MB/s? I don't see that indicated for the Combo RAID EB400CR product.

Didn't make it up, could have been in a spec sheet. I will try to find it.

You also indicated you're using a H680 card, which is 6G mini-SAS, not eSATA, are you using a fan out cable (mini-SAS to eSATA) from the host bus card?

Yep, fan out cable with nothing else on it or the other SAS port on the card. For reference, I am an experienced IT person.

The EB400CR is a 6G backplane interface. I'm not sure I'm understanding your questions correctly, you're welcome to give us a call & speak to a technician.

If it is a 6G backplane, shouldn't it be faster when using RAID 0 ?

We just want to make sure that we understand your workflow in it's entirety.

It's not about workflow, it's about the raw speed of the unit. As I said, I am disappointed considering the supposed 6G path.

Thanks for the reply,
Robert

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Nov 15, 2013 at 3:53:38 am

[Robert Ober] "If it is a 6G backplane, shouldn't it be faster when using RAID 0 ?"

Not if eSATA is 3G - which it is according to p.6 of the manual. Theoretically it could be faster than 300MB/s over USB 3.0, yet very few USB 3.0 implementations (UAS mostly) achieve that.

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Nov 15, 2013 at 7:28:05 pm

Not if eSATA is 3G - which it is according to p.6 of the manual. Theoretically it could be faster than 300MB/s over USB 3.0, yet very few USB 3.0 implementations (UAS mostly) achieve that.

Yessir,

You beat me to it. I was going to post that for John as I believe he said the backplane is 6G. Maybe the harddrive backplane is 6G but apparently the SATA interface is 3G.

Again, not interested in USB and 6G eSATA should be faster, right?

Thanks Alex,
Robert

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Nov 15, 2013 at 7:50:09 pm

[Robert Ober] "6G eSATA should be faster, right?"

It'd be nice but not a sure thing.

To maximize transfer rates, I'd personally look at SAS boxes. There're small ones, with four or five bays and a 6G backplane giving you a theoretical line speed of 24Gbs in full duplex.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Nov 15, 2013 at 5:48:57 pm

Robert,

We have a potential solution for you. Can you contact me at my email address so we can propose our solution?

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
12221 Florence Ave.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Nov 15, 2013 at 7:31:04 pm

Will do.

Really not trying to be a hard case. Really want to appreciate you folks as I have had issues with some of your competitors.

Really getting tired of the lameness I see in American companies and hoping you are not part of that.

Thanks John,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Nov 15, 2013 at 7:59:06 pm

[Robert Ober] "Really getting tired of the lameness I see in American companies and hoping you are not part of that."

This may wake up the off-topic dragon. The "lameness" you speak of is likely the result of decades of political and cultural processes and I don't know what it'd take to reverse them. Does anyone?

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Nov 15, 2013 at 9:01:42 pm

Well,

Yeah, but even on point, I am talking to them offline and they seem like good folks but I can't get over the fact that they stuck a 3G eSATA interface in the box. And they did confirm that it is 3G. Even if they had to charge a bit more they would still be competitive pricewise and the build quality is top of the shelf.

I know for sure there are many like me with legacy Mac Pros with no USB3 or Thunderbolt. In fact, many are still using Final Cut Pro 6 or 7, although I have moved on to Avid. Even in the Avid world, lots of stuff, including big budget, is cut on 5.5 even though MC 7 is out.

Take it EZ,
Robert

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Nov 15, 2013 at 9:10:37 pm

[Robert Ober] " they stuck a 3G eSATA interface in the box"

Can't fault them for it: nearly any similar box made at that time had a 3G eSATA, not 6G - probably for a good reason: 6G wasn't available from the manufacturers of the on-board controllers.

In a similar fashion, you'd think that years after USB 3.0 was intro'd and started shipping, they'd do something about the meager transfer rates that rarely go above 50% of the line speed? E.g. enable UAS on some of these boxes? Nope.

It's not their fault.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Nov 17, 2013 at 1:39:11 pm

Hey,

I disagree. It shouldn't take much to revise it.

I think many folks are too quick to defend companies.

They are taking care of me by letting me return the CR for a MS. I was hoping to stay eSATA as I could also use that with my MacBook Pro that has an Expresscard eSATA adapter.

Have a fun Sun,
Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]