FORUMS: list search recent posts

2007 Xserve & JBOD

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Fletcher
2007 Xserve & JBOD
on Nov 1, 2013 at 5:59:35 pm

I have read some good posts on here about xserve raids. Our shop has a couple dozen drives gathering dust on some shelves, and the producers what to access the data on them to check of old content. They asked me to 'hook them up'. So I'm trying to get these drives accessible to them with as little cost as possible. Throughput isn't an issue, since if they want to work with the files/footage they will copy it over to workstations.

I have an old xServe (2007) and xRAID in an office corner. I've been thinking to get a $700 JBOD (24disk) and put in in the rack with the server. Hook it to the xserve and sharing the drives to the producer's workstations.

My questions 1) Is there a better way? 2) If this is a good way, I'm not sure where to get the right interface for the JBOD. The xserve has the fibre for the xRaid. Replace it with a SAS card?

I really appreciate any input from you guys!

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: 2007 Xserve & JBOD
on Nov 1, 2013 at 10:59:50 pm

Todd,

I hope you're not talking about something like this...
here's an actual review of an under $1K 24 bay JBOD enclosure (I'll leave the manufacturer name out of it):

"I decided to do a quick test run without any drives, and without it connected to my SAS controller and it instantly let out a huge pop and smoke started pouring out of the back. Turned it off, popped open the top and turned it back on. The power supply was fine, but the third level bay started smoking severely. The three fans in the unit are REALLY loud".

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

Todd Fletcher
on Nov 1, 2013 at 11:02:02 pm

That's like something I was thinking. Doesn't sound very safe. >.<

Any suggestions on how to accomplish what I need?

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Nov 1, 2013 at 11:13:45 pm

Todd,

There's a lot of good solutions out in the market that offer safe operation, a good warranty & quiet operation. Of course I'm going to be biased towards what we sell, but with what your being entrusted with doing, you don't want to go cheap, especially with the importance of said data. I'm sure others will chime in, but ultimately be prepared at looking at something like this:

H680 (JBOD)6G PCIe to mini-SAS path-through card from ATTO about $367.00 from what I've seen online & a GOOD Chassis. You'll need a low profile bracket to fit the card into the Xserve, but that should be included.

We do a 16 bay with expansion capability, it's $2550.00 MSRP (or lower if you shop around) without a card: http://www.proavio.com/index.php/products/post-production/is316js & a number of people I know visit this particular forum have the product.

Good luck!

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 2, 2013 at 2:38:22 pm

The Xserve Raids have been one of the best raid hardware systems I've come across. We've still got two of them running with over 80.000 working hours on the HD's - still working perfectly. So if you want to use the equipment - do it.
The only thing about the Xserve Raids is a max of 10TB per chassis and a performance of 4GB/s. Modern Raids have much more TB capacity and are at least 8GB/s or faster.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Todd Fletcher
on Nov 4, 2013 at 3:52:40 pm

I have enjoyed my xServe Raid over the years. If I could set it up to accept my newer drives in a JBOD I would be a happy camper.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 5, 2013 at 1:31:50 pm

you can't get modern SATA drives to fit into a chassis that will only take discontinued PATA (parallel ATA) drives. Your Xserve RAID is going into the garbage, where it belongs. Buy a modern drive array, which will work fine for you.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 5, 2013 at 5:59:58 pm

Bob's right.
you can't run modern drives in this array. I thought you wanted to use the good old Pata drives.
Sometimes I'm getting a little sentimental.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]