FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID 1 for instantaneous Data Backup?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Ratledge
RAID 1 for instantaneous Data Backup?
on Aug 21, 2010 at 4:50:38 pm

Could I use a RAID 1 setup to do instantaneous Master/backup scheme for my data?

For instance, say I'm ingesting P2 footage, and I need a Master copy and a backup copy on separate drives. Instead of writing to each of 2 independent discs when dumping the footage, or writing to one and doing a finder copy, could I set the two discs up in a RAID 1, ingesting the footage once to one "location," yet through the RAID config, automatically mirror the data to both drives?

I'm curious if this setup would yield two identical copies; on separate drives, that could then be removed and mounted individually as either a Master or Backup copy, without the presence of the other.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: RAID 1 for instantaneous Data Backup?
on Aug 21, 2010 at 8:44:01 pm

with Apple, a RAID 1 is a backup array. The minute you pull off the "backup drive", the RAID 1 group fails, and will not automatically reconnect. RAID 1 drives should travel together, and be plugged in as a set - you can't just yank one off (unless you really lost your original drive).

the real problem with RAID 1 is that your performance is no better with 2 drives than with one drive.

But yes, this could work for you, if you "play by the rules".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]