what did I do wrong? RAID set degraded, and "split" to two
on Sep 30, 2013 at 5:01:26 pm

Setup:
Mac pro 4.1
Areca 1680x
Proavio EB8MS enclosure
Toshiba DT01ACA300 drives.

I had a working RAID 6 system.
After a few weeks, it said one of the drives failed, but checked it, and it was working fine. So I put it back to the system, RAID was rebuilt, and everything was fine.

Now I come home, and seen all these messages like "Device Removed", "Device Inserted" "RaidSet Degraded", and so on..
So I checked the setup, and now the config page says that I have two RAID sets, both degraded/failed. I managed to get the 6 disk RAID online, so I could save the important data, but what's now? How can I "merge" the two disks back to the original set?

And more importantly: what can I do so I won't encounter in this issue again?

Event log: http://d.pr/i/t3Dt
Raid set hierarchy: http://d.pr/i/lcON

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: what did I do wrong? RAID set degraded, and "split" to two
on Sep 30, 2013 at 8:09:08 pm

Laco,

We had another customer with the same issue, with the same card whom we suggested contact Areca & they were able to work the issue through. I've consulted with our technicians here & they agree that would be your best bet. The Areca 1680 card you have is also quite old & that could be the issue.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Sep 30, 2013 at 8:20:29 pm

Jon,

thanks for the reply. I've tried to contact Areca support, but no answer until now.
Even though the 1680 is an old card I think it should handle this one simple raid set just fine.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 5, 2013 at 4:23:35 pm

In order to fix this, the controller/raid management has to have the ability to import a foreign raid configuration like the LSI/Intel Raid controllers. If Areca has that option then you can import the configuration again. I would definitely contact them to see if that is an option with their raid management. If there is only 2 drives missing in the primary raid you can delete the 2nd raid and then rebuild 1 drive at a time into the Primary. However you have to hope that another drive doesn't drop out during the rebuild if you do that until atleast 1 of the 2 drives is rebuilt. A safer way to do this would be to add a new drive as a Global spare and rebuild that first. Then delete the 2nd raid and rebuild another drive into the Raid 6. The 3rd drive becomes a spare in the future then once you find out which disk is failing.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]