FORUMS: list search recent posts

Small Network/Array system

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amos Prync
Small Network/Array system
on Aug 17, 2010 at 7:56:21 pm

I'm a total ignorant in networking and array systems... All I know about them is because of the flashing banners all around this forum...
I need to present a proposal for a 3 Mac based stations. One is for Pre-Editing, one for graphics and one for editing.
We need to share the same files, but not necessarily work on them from the network itself. Meaning, we can work on them locally, and update them by the end of the day or whenever we feel they need to be updated to be shared.
Is there any small system that will kinda' "out of the box" serve this purpose?
Is it better to just stick to our medieval "moving external hard drives around the office" ?
Will appreciate any good education about this need/situation.
Thank you in advance!
Regards,

Amos Prync |::| http://www.amosprync.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Small Network/Array system
on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:22:08 pm

Hi Arnos,
you say
" All I know about them is because of the flashing banners all around this forum..."

These very companies sell exactly what you are looking for. They make shared storage systems, that will allow you share files around your office. IF you have 3 MACS, this is no problem for any of the companies that have "flashing banners".

I work closely with Maxx Digital and Small Tree (who make systems like the one you want), but there are certainly other wonderful companies with "flashing banners" that sell the same thing, at different price points - companies like JMR, Sonnet, Cal Digit, Apace, Studio Netork Solutions, and pretty much everyone else that is advertising right here on Creative Cow. They advertise to GET YOUR ATTENTION so that when you need something like SHARED STORAGE you say "hey, I need shared storage, maybe I should call these companies and find out how much they cost".

If you think you will find a plug and play solution (like a Lacie Network Attached Storage drive) for $1000, you are just kidding yourself, and will not be successful, for what you have described.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Amos Prync
on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:34:37 pm

You want to put a proposal together?
I can definitely recommend you to the guy who signs the checks ;)
I read a lot your posts and I love people with the kind of humor you have. It shows you know and enjoy what you do.
I have a very similar approach to my profession.
Let me know if you want to write me to my personal email.
Regards,

Amos Prync |::| http://www.amosprync.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 18, 2010 at 2:18:51 am

you can reach me at maxavid@cfl.rr.com.
You can show your boss -
http://www.bobzelin.com

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>