10 External Hard Drives

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph wilkins
10 External Hard Drives
on Aug 9, 2013 at 2:24:47 am

Hello...

I'm a video editor.

I have 10 external 3TB hard drives I want to be able to access on my Mac Pro Tower.

Currently I use an external enclosure I just slide whatever drive I need into, but I'd love a cheap unit that will house all 10 drives.

Did I mention I'm on a budget.

What's the cheapest way to have constant reliable access to all 10 drives?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: 10 External Hard Drives
on Aug 9, 2013 at 6:47:26 am

Not sure about 10 bays, but for 8, one of the cheapest is Sans Digital TR8M.

After using it for a while (like I did), you'd probably wish for something more robust, like the much more expensive CineRAID CR-T12E, that also requires a good SAS RAID card or an HBA, but you aren't looking for "robust".

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: 10 External Hard Drives
on Aug 9, 2013 at 8:22:48 am

I recently picked up a TR8M, just to house misc. bare drives I have around, for occasional access. If I need to edit anything from the TR8M drives, I will transfer the files to my actual media drive. Since my Mac Pro already had an esata card I didn't need the included card. So I just tossed a couple two-bare-drive RAIDs in it, they both mounted and everything seems fine. Honestly, it has just sat on the shelf since the initial setup/test but it was very simple and I'm happy with it.

I figure a unit like this is fine for occasional access or light duty editing, but for full time, complex editing, make a budget for quality equipment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]