FORUMS: list search recent posts

2TB Caviar Black RAID performance

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
2TB Caviar Black RAID performance
on Aug 12, 2010 at 9:43:39 pm

Hey guys (or should I say, "hey Bob"),

I'm finally getting to upgrading my system and would love to know if anyone has had experience with the WD 2TB Caviar Black drives, in the Enhance 8 drive array, using the famed ATTO R380?

If nothing else, I'd love to hear how the drives are performing. I'm currently running 8 1TB drives with no problem, but it's always a good idea to ask around about these things.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: 2TB Caviar Black RAID performance
on Aug 13, 2010 at 3:28:16 am

It's a drive. They all stink. They all fail. One week, Seagate is the only good drive to get, next week, Hitachi is the only good drive to get.

You only have 4 choices - Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi and Samsung. You can buy the Active Storage Rolls Royce, or you can buy the Lacie puke machine, they all use these 4 manufacturers, and they all eventually fail.

I am sure that it will work fine (until one of your 8 drives fail).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 14, 2010 at 10:34:44 pm

Thanks. I was one of the first to build a RAID out of those 2Tb Green Power drives from WD and ended up returning them all as their spin speeds were never declared (turned out to be around 5400 instead of 7200, with a delay when spinning up that sucked). I also built a RAID with 1.5 Tb Seagates which, surprise, sucked as well and had some nasty issues. After those two burns, I let the 2TB Caviar Blacks sit on the market for a while. There's nothing worse than having to RMA 10 or 12 hard drives, twice. Well...except sending them back in a third time.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 15, 2010 at 7:37:59 pm

What was your issue with the 1.5TB Seagates?

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 15, 2010 at 8:41:41 pm

Norman writes -

What was your issue with the 1.5TB Seagates

REPLY -I have had extensive failures with the Seagate 1.5 TB series drives. That is my experience. Never again.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 16, 2010 at 2:29:07 am

I don't think I'll ever buy Seagate again from that experience. Their drives froze and had major issues, especially in a RAID, and Seagate ignored the problem for the longest time. I won't buy internal seagate drives if I can help it because of this experience.

WD isn't much better though. They put this smartware crap on their external drives that require an act of God and the sacrifice of your firstborn to remove. Even then, I still couldn't get it off. That smartware stuff screws with Time Machine. I wish drive manufacturers would focus on their hardware and leave the software to the OS.

The 2TB greenpower WD drive has been great as an internal Time Machine backup in the Mac Pro, for what it's worth.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Update: 2TB Caviar Black RAID performance
on Aug 23, 2010 at 8:51:50 pm

Here's something crazy. I'm building a new edit system now that the 12 Cores are out. I picked up the ATTO R380 and 8 Caviar Black 2Tb drives to go in my ProAvio 8MS box (upgrades from 1Tb Caviar blacks). Unfortunately, Enhance's engineer Louis told me that the WD Caviar Black 2Tb drives won't work well with the ATTO R380 controller - but will work GREAT with the Highpoint or Areca cards. Apparently the issue is in the intel chip the controller uses - it doesn't like the WD 2Tb drives. Hitachi Ultrastars would be a fine substitution.

I have to say, the Enhance guys got back to me by 10:30am - within 2 hours of getting my email. And yes, we all had a good laugh about Highpoint's non-existant tech support. Terrible though they are, the highpoint card has worked solid for me for almost 2 years now. That said, I think I'm going to go with the Areca because at least they have a phone that rings when my drives inevitably die.

So the lesson is, it's always good to ask.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Update Part Deux: 2TB Caviar Black RAID performance
on Sep 1, 2010 at 10:04:05 pm

Ordered the Areca 1680x, but ended up getting the 1680ix, which was completely not the card I wanted. It was Friday night, and I could have let the system sit for days - and then I read that Highpoint's 4322 card is actually made by Areca and basically is the same card as the 1680x, so I put the Highpoint card from my old system in the new one. It works better with the 2Tb drives than it did with the 1Tb drives.

Perhaps Areca could come up with a better naming system for their cards. You have all the letters and numbers in the world - maybe don't put an tiny little 'i' in the name of a completely different card if you want people to buy your product....unless of course you're Apple!

Going on 5 years with Highpoint, not a single failure yet (knock on wood).

Return to posts index

Bruce Little
Re: Update Part Deux: 2TB Caviar Black RAID performance
on Sep 18, 2010 at 5:20:29 am

Hi folks,
I'm currently running 24 - 2TB WD Caviar Black drives on an Adaptec 52445. In a RAID 50 configuration. They work and benchmark very fast - compared to my other 2 chassis's with 24 - 1TB Hitachi's.
But,
I am finding something annoying with them. There is a slight lag, approximately a half a second, when loading new clips or scrolling on a timeline, at the beginning of any operation really. This happens only when the system is idle. If I start a file copy and the raid is doing something, or if others are accessing the SAN then there is no lag. I've received no solution from Adaptec support so far. I'm sure if I attempt to talk with WD about it, i'll get the "You should be using the RE series drives' speech. I do not have this lag with my Hitachi drives. Anyone have any thought's or ideas that might help me solve this problem? Currently I just set an 'at' command to run first thing in the morning to initiate a large file copy that lasts a number of hours so that I can work off these drives without this annoying lag.
Bruce

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 18, 2010 at 5:56:43 am

Just out of curiosity, you have turned off the 'idle disks when possible' preference pane option, haven't you? It's the simplest reason and I didn't realize it until I discovered it last week - it can also apply to external RAID arrays.

That said, smaller files do tend to have a bit of an initial lower data rate. Under 1 gig on my AJA system test can show that. However, it's not been a big issue for me yet. I have noticed a few little weird things about these drives - sometimes cold opening a finder window on it takes a second or two. Didn't happen with 1TB Caviar Black drives...

A while back, I built an array from 1TB RE4-GP (Green Power) drives, which turned out to be totally not usable. There were massive delays in the drives which made them delay. WD refused to advertise the drive speeds of the RE4GP drives, and at best they were 5400 RPM. Although these 2TB drives are 7200rpm, I wonder if WD is using similar power save tech with these drives?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 18, 2010 at 6:07:20 am

Just out of curiosity, you have turned off the 'idle disks when possible' preference pane option, haven't you? It's the simplest reason and I didn't realize it until I discovered it last week - it can also apply to external RAID arrays.

That said, smaller files do tend to have a bit of an initial lower data rate. Under 1 gig on my AJA system test can show that. However, it's not been a big issue for me yet. If you can make the lag show up on the test, perhaps post a screengrab and I'll tell you if it's far off from mine. I have noticed a few little weird things about these drives - something cold opening a finder window on it takes a second or two. Didn't happen with 1TB Caviar Black drives...

A while back, I built an array from 1TB RE4-GP (Green Power) drives, which turned out to be totally not usable. There were massive delays in the drives which made them unusable. I wonder if WD is using that same power save tech with these drives?

UPDATE: I just installed an app called "SleeplessHD" off of macupdate that hits the drive every 5 seconds. Enable it at login and that should fix ya. It's working for me now. We'll see what happens....

Return to posts index

Bruce Little
on Sep 18, 2010 at 6:30:15 am

Hi John,
Where is this 'idle disks when possible' preference? In ASM?
I'll look for SleeplessHD utility as well.
thanks for the info.
Bruce

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 18, 2010 at 6:31:54 am

I think it's system preferences under power management.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]