FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to back up one RAID with another?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Burns
Is it possible to back up one RAID with another?
on Jul 3, 2013 at 5:18:39 pm

I have two separate enclosures each running on RAID Level 5. My question is would it be possible to set up the second RAID to mirror the first RAID? This may sound like pure madness or I may have the concept completely and utterly wrong, but I was just wondering if it was possible.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Is it possible to back up one RAID with another?
on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:29:15 pm

[Chris Burns] "I have two separate enclosures each running on RAID Level 5. My question is would it be possible to set up the second RAID to mirror the first RAID? This may sound like pure madness or I may have the concept completely and utterly wrong, but I was just wondering if it was possible."

Certainly - at the controller or OS level.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Jul 4, 2013 at 3:13:12 am

There are lots of fun nested raid levels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_RAID_levels#RAID_51

There's also some good information there on typical and possible setups.

However nested RAID is still not a backup; the minute/second/instant a file is corrupted, it's corrupted anywhere. When you're nesting RAID 5 in RAID 1, you're adding a whole other level of redundancy against hardware failure, and increasing read speeds (over a single RAID 5 group).

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jul 4, 2013 at 6:26:48 pm

I think, if you can afford it, it's the best back up - two seperate Raids with the same capacity both running on redundant raid levels.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]