FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast Playout from SAN.

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guthrie Andres
Broadcast Playout from SAN.
on Jul 30, 2010 at 1:45:00 pm

Hi,
I posted this thread in the Broadcast Video forum, but I thought this might be a better place for it.
I am the General Manager of a small student run TV station at the University of New Hampshire. We are currently looking for a way to schedule certain shows that we have stored on our Promise RAID system to playout to air at certain times. I've seen all in one solutions from Princeton and Tightrope Media Systems, but it seems so redundant to me to get a whole separate server, when we already have spent the big bucks to get this one.
We currently use a program called Pro Video Player which basically offers the control and organizational capabilities of iTunes with the ability to play out to a separate monitor. It doesn't offer any scheduling though, and that's what we really want. We do have a computer that is dedicated to running this program which is hooked up to our SAN, so if we could get some kind of video card and a program to do this it would be wonderful.
thanks,
Guthrie

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Broadcast Playout from SAN.
on Jul 30, 2010 at 11:49:46 pm

get a stand alone automation system, like from a company like NVerzion in Utah. What you are proposing is not cheap - no professional application is inexpensive. People look at Blackmagic products, and say "hey, I bet I can do THIS for $199 also". Blackmagic is an anamoly (spelling ?) in our industry - professional applications like station automation and scheduling cost money.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Aug 1, 2010 at 3:22:13 am

It's not uncommon to have a video server from Omneon or Harris be controlled by automation software from OmniBus. Server hardware and automation is very mix and match and, as Bob said, are very expensive.

Fear not... there are less expensive options:

http://toolsonair.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemi...
http://www.softronmedia.com/products/playout_standalone.html
http://www.bug.tv/CLASS-1.html
http://www.b4m.com/html/playout_xpress.html

These can all use an Xsan as storage and a Mac with an Aja or BM card for video playout. Unlike an Omneon that has guaranteed performance and uptime ($$$) a "roll your own" playout server will only be as reliable as you make it.

Good luck...
John Heagy

Return to posts index

Guthrie Andres
on Aug 2, 2010 at 6:33:55 pm

Thank you Bob and John for your responses. I realize that nothing in this industry is cheap. Blackmagic-design is a great company and I'm always happy with the pricing of their products. We are looking for something that will have an easy learning curve since none of us are professionals here. I like the look of the software solutions that John suggested, but I'm aware that the more things you tack on to any system, the more demons seem to creep in, and the more things seem to go awry.
Maybe we'll just end up shelling out 30 grand or so for a Tightrope or Princeton server, since that seems to be a nice all in one system and would integrate with our network over FTP. I think OmniBus is a bit beyond our needs, as we only go out to campus buildings and all our playout is file-based.
We have managed to scrape by over the years with no professional help. We built and configured our own xSAN setup, and we've taught ourselves about lighting and live production enough to make a pleasing product as well. While the radio station and newspaper have paid professionals to operate their equipment, we are firmly against bringing in any professionals because we want to be able to do our own thing (we're college students, go figure).

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 2, 2010 at 8:32:32 pm

Guthrie,
your post makes me sick, now that I understand the entire story.
You have no money, but you want to have an entire automated TV station with no knowlege -

Bob Zelin

From the WHO lyrics of Magic Bus -

But can I buy your Magic Bus? (Too much, the Magic Bus)
Nooooooooo!

I don't care how much I pay (Too much, the Magic Bus)
I wanna drive my bus to my baby each day (Too much, the Magic Bus)
*[Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus
Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus
Give me a hundred (Magic Bus)
I won't take under (Magic Bus)
Goes like thunder (Magic Bus)
It's a four-stage wonder (Magic Bus)

Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus
I want it, I want it, I want it...(You can't have it!)
Think how much you'll save...(You can't have it!)]
I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it ... (You can't have it!)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 2, 2010 at 9:25:11 pm

as I look at the lastest post on the Broadcast Forums on Creative Cow, I realize that everyone in the world is going crazy. Everyone wants everything for free. I only ask this one question - what in life is allowed to cost a lot of money ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Gagne
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:06:00 pm

Bob: Yachts. Yachts are allowed to cost a lot of money.

Return to posts index

Guthrie Andres
on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:25:43 pm

Oh dear Bob, I'm sorry to make you feel sick. Your personality and comments frequently remind me of Gordon Ramsay on Hell's Kitchen. In my last post I may have made it sound like we are paying for everything out of our college pockets. The reality is, we have a yearly budget of about $20,000 for operating expenses and then we run large equipment purchases through a committee that controls more funds and we have to justify how the expense benefits the organization and the student body. We don't have the money of a professional organization, but we are far better off than some. I am certainly aware that this is going to be expensive, and to be honest, I love spending the school's money because all they do is take my money the rest of the time.
So really, ideally this would be a purchase in the area of $30,000-$40,000, and could integrate with our Blackmagic-design router, and be capable of outputting both SD (preferably composite, though we could use a converter) and HD-SDI. I would also like to be able to upload the programming schedule to our website. Those are really the basic features that I'm looking for.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Aug 6, 2010 at 1:26:14 pm

Guthrie, since the automations are out of budget why don`t you use an "all hard drives" sort of solution and just have someone on an editing computer edit up say, a half day at a time worth of proposed programming complete with "rain out" programming where your live shows go. Put an innocuous playback program on it next to the editor program and just let it roll. A plain powerful editing computer can sort out the programs much faster than life and I`d suppose that a pair of 60 GB work HDs is usually enough to handle the time span. Erase and prepare them before each program cycle. Putting in then bypassing "rain out" programming will dramatically remove you from the worst of a stop and go work flow. Programming- to- website software or tools are something you can find in the magazines in the waiting room of a radio or tv station.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Aug 7, 2010 at 9:01:59 pm

Guthrie, automation came up unexpectedly last night as a topic by a radio friend and me. If you use time code at your station here`s one more fix. http://www.rivendellaudio.org
Use this radio automation program to control your tv system by letting it have access to timecode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]