FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID set up for political media

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Burns
RAID set up for political media
on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:39:49 pm

I recently started working for a political media firm and they've got a 16TB RAID that they've been using at RAID Level 5. We've had some problems with the RAID ejecting itself while editing, so we've ordered a new one that should be arriving tomorrow. We've had some discussions as to what the best options are for using a RAID while editing video - which RAID Level should we use? How should we go about backing up and storing drives off site? I'm new to using RAIDs so this is all a little confusing and a tad intimidating.
For the record we're using a Mac Pro 2 x 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon with 64GB RAM on OSX 10.8.2 with a 16TB OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 RAID.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: RAID set up for political media
on Jun 3, 2013 at 5:25:36 pm

Hey Chris

Regarding the RAID ejecting itself, you should give OWC a call. I had a version of the Qx2 that was loaded with low quality drives, which resulted in extremely low performance and it would occasionally eject itself. I returned it for a refund.

this thread: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/292/2631 should answer your other questions.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 3, 2013 at 6:47:51 pm

I have two clients that do nothing but hi end political campaigns.
The simple answer - buy quality equipment. I know what your budget is (typically), and you can afford it. Without going around promoting "other brands" other than what you have, the simple answer is that EVERYONE who sells drives sells professional products, and also sells cheap junk.

Since you have OWC, this is a professional product from OWC that will not cause you any issues -

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/storage/Enterprise/jupiter/mini-SAS

name any other brand, and I can show you the same thing - the junk, and the good stuff. SO, how can you do a professional reliable job with a RAID array that costs under $1000 ? You can't.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Jun 3, 2013 at 8:53:25 pm

Chris,

I know Bob Zelin himself has installed one of these (I know his customer is very pleased with it)...right Bob?

The cost is under the OWC prices indicated for their 16TB/16 bay: http://www.proavio.com/index.php/products/post-production/is316js

A 3 Year Warranty along with 1 year Advanced Replacement of drives or parts is standard.

Just my 2 cents, it might be worth you taking a look at.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jun 3, 2013 at 8:58:14 pm

[Chris Burns] " We've had some problems with the RAID ejecting itself while editing, so we've ordered a new one that should be arriving tomorrow."

Chris, what are the specs on the array you ordered? Doesn't make sense to recommend RAID level without knowing the details.

Also, the place you ordered that array from - have you tried asking them what they'd recommend?

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jun 5, 2013 at 1:53:52 pm

hi Chris,

For a start: Raid5 level is fine for this type of drive. It has a built-in controller and you can choose between usb, FW and esata.
We use this type of drive arrays just for back-up purposes. It simply doesn't meet our professional standard. Bob has just mentioned this simple fact.
First of all: What performance do you expect from your Raid system? What do you need it for?
I can tell you my opinion:
A Raid has just one purpose: To work, to work, to work. You have to forget about it, that its there. (Walter Biscardis words are still in my head)
Now, a Raid like the OWC you describe (incl. other brands) doesn't meet this single truth (your own experience).
The lowest raid, that meet this level is a 8bay SAS raid with enterprise HD's (Hitachi Ultrastars) Raid 5 level plus one spare.
The best Raid is a 16-24bay FC Raid 4x8GB plus 4x8GB Atto card Raid 6, one spare with Hitachi Ultrastars.
And keep Bob's words in mind: Go for a good brand (Sonnet, Dulce, Smalltree, active storage etc.) In the end its cheeper.
In case of your failure of the OWC: It sounds like a bad controler or cable.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]