FORUMS: list search recent posts

Input on setting up a RAID to mirror a RAID

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jostein Svalheim
Input on setting up a RAID to mirror a RAID
on May 21, 2013 at 9:06:31 am

Hello everyone.

I'm coordinating an upgrade at my place of work where currently, we are acquiring one more RAID server to mirror the one we already have set up.
Needs 16TB storage, no specific speed requirements, runs day and night under constant workload (CGI work/rendering).

So i have a few questions:
- Where would i start looking for products that might fit our needs. I'm currently looking at pricing and so on, so fitting suggestions are welcome.
- How hard would it be to set this all up? We have experienced server admins here, so a simple mirroring server should be a cakewalk, right?

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Input on setting up a RAID to mirror a RAID
on May 21, 2013 at 12:40:05 pm

I would look into a 8bay MiniSAS (Sonnet, ProAvio or similar) with Raid 6 plus spare. This would be the best solution.
The other option (cheaper) would be a 4bay or two 4bay Esata/FW raids, same brands.
You should use good drives (we recommend Hitachi Ultrastars 4TB) and Raid 5. You should be able to handle this on your own (system admin.)

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on May 21, 2013 at 8:32:55 pm

[Jostein Svalheim] "We have experienced server admins here, so a simple mirroring server should be a cakewalk, right?"

Haha... :)

The absolute first thing to do is to ask your existing admins for suggestions. They're the ones to maintain it, right? If so, they should be consulted with.

The 2nd absolute thing to do is to get the specs on the existing array. The mirror you're putting should be the same or faster speed than the 1st array, or else you will be slowing the 1st array down.

The 3rd thing - get an idea of an existing workload - average and peak I/Os and block sizes. Your server admins might help with that. Whatever you are adding to your infrastructure gotta accommodate that workload in the short and long terms.

Last, mirroring adds to the I/O and bandwidth overhead (controller, bus, OS levels). Usually not an issue, but gotta watch out for that, too.

After we get all that done, we can start thinking about specific chassis, drives and controllers.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on May 22, 2013 at 12:20:20 am

is this a mirror in the sense that you want to take a RAID5 and create a RAID51 with 2 chassis?

or are you looking for a RAID of similar size to backup your existing RAID?

I've been looking for backup options for my SAN, and I'm leaning towards an LTO autoloader

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on May 22, 2013 at 2:59:28 pm

If there are no specific speed requirements, the solution is more a safe back-up than a real mirroring.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]