FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does anyone out there have a Proavio EB400CR?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jorge Hernandez
Does anyone out there have a Proavio EB400CR?
on May 2, 2013 at 7:22:22 am

I am looking into buying a Proavio EB400CR since this is a raid that seems to offer everything for my purposes. I am looking into a raid drive that has JBOD capabilities and Proavio seems to be my answer. Only problem is that this raid seems to be a ghost! No one out there has reviews or experiences with this machine. Is anyone out there in the post production world own one of these bad boys? The only people I see reviews from is the retailers saying Adobe recommends this! I'm looking for some actual reviews! Not paid advertisements. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me answer my question.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Does anyone out there have a Proavio EB400CR?
on May 2, 2013 at 6:45:43 pm

Jorge,

If that helps, I've sold a few to clients, and they are happy.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on May 3, 2013 at 8:32:31 pm

Videoguys is a ProAvio dealer. We tested the drive and we liked the performance. For under $1,000 the 8TB model is a great value. eSATA, USB3 & FW800.

http://www.videoguys.com/Brand/Proavio.aspx

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Nov 6, 2013 at 4:15:21 pm

This is frustrating.

I too am looking for real numbers for throughput using SATA 6Gb/s from my Mac Pro.

Anybody run a test? AJA test preferably.

I am interested in the 8TB version and am ready to checkout at Videoguys.

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Salvador Garza
on Dec 25, 2013 at 11:05:17 pm

Hi Robert!

Did you end up getting the EB400CR? Looking for 6G speed ratings as well.

Thanks!

Salvador Garza
Apple Certified Trainer & Adobe Certified Instructor
http://www.salvadorgarza.com

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Dec 26, 2013 at 4:39:37 pm

Hello,

The EB400CR is not fast enough for me. The EB400CR uses a 3G esata connection with 6G drives. I exchanged it for a EB400MS. The MS uses a SAS connection with 6G esata drives. It is MUCH faster.

Proavio did work hard to make sure I was happy. Don't forget the EB400MS needs a RAID adapter which is more money and the RAID adapters don't usually support tape devices which is an issue for me. I cannot find my screenshot of my speed test on the MS so I will run it again.

The Proavio units are will made with good materials and fit/finish. The drive caddys are perhaps the best feeling when removing and inserting that I have encountered and I have worked with some expensive server equipment.

Hope that helps,
Robert

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Dec 26, 2013 at 6:18:52 pm

Hello Again,

I reran the speed test with the AJA System Test and the Blackmagic Design.

I ran the AJA test with a 4GB file size but BMD recommend a 5GB file size so that is what I used on the BMD test. The detail box on the AJA test showed a lot of fluctuation but that may be because I have written a few files to the array and it may need to be defragged. It is 95% or so empty. I am pretty sure there was less fluctuation of the speed when it was completely empty.

Proavio's recommendation for an inexpensive (relative term of course) RAID controller:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151100

I believe Bob or someone said that ARECA is not great but so far it is working for me in a 4,1 Mac Pro.

Hope that helps,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Salvador Garza
on Dec 27, 2013 at 6:10:03 pm

Thank you Robert! I appreciate you taking the time in sharing this and running the test. Seems like we're on a similar boat. I have a couple of old G-Speed eS (hosted by a RR2314) that I want to move away from, extremely slow and terrible customer service from G-Tech. I was looking into a SAS solution that I could later move into a thunderbolt chassis. I also have an LTO5 drive (SAS), seems like I'm going to need two cards, a simple HBA for the LTO drive and a RAID HBA for a SAS enclosure.

Were you able to hook up your LTO drive to the areca card?

Thanks again!

Salvador Garza
Apple Certified Trainer & Adobe Certified Instructor
http://www.salvadorgarza.com

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Dec 27, 2013 at 6:55:43 pm

[Salvador Garza] "Were you able to hook up your LTO drive to the areca card?"

Well, It will connect but the RAID card will not recognize the tape drive. I called them and they said they have no support for tape drives with their RAID adapters. They say this is common but I am pretty sure I have used the builtin RAID adapters in Dell servers for tape drives.

My related problem is that the Mac Pro (pre 2013) does not have enough slots for my needs so I am going to have to buy an expansion chassis.

Take it EZ,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]