Need Advice on best Storage Solution

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Kapell
Need Advice on best Storage Solution
on Apr 30, 2013 at 8:04:29 pm

Hi everyone, I'll try to be brief:
-new job editing at small ad agency with no central video storage
-I only have experience with Drobo, which I'm learning may not be the best solution
-will continue to edit on small external drives, not from central storage
-would like access for me (MAC) and video coordinator (PC) onsite and off. Nobody else.
-$20k budget, so something scalable would help
-I've looked at Synology, Promise, Drobo, Gtech, and still not sure
-we have no IT person, and my IT skills, while growing, are very basic.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Need Advice on best Storage Solution
on Apr 30, 2013 at 10:24:54 pm

so you want to share media between you on a Mac, and the "video coordinator" (PC). So why isn't the Drobo working for you? I assume that the video coordinator does not need to edit from the drobo - only look at files occationally. Only you are editing - correct ?

Exactly what isn't working. You don't need to spend $20,000. You probably don't need to spend anything.

Please describe your problem in more detail, of why "it's not working for you".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jason Kapell
on May 1, 2013 at 1:48:53 am

Ummm...the first bullet point states that we have "no central video storage". There's no mention of having a Drobo that doesn't work for me. So I actually do need to spend something because we have nothing.
Sheesh, forget it man...no thanks.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on May 1, 2013 at 2:56:04 am

[Jason Kapell] "would like access for me (MAC) and video coordinator (PC) onsite and off. Nobody else."

Could you describe the "off-site" part, still? How do you envision off-site access? Editing? Viewing? If only viewing - streaming? Syncing? Via RDC?

Also, what type of access will the video coordinator need?

Bob's right that there is not enough info: file formats, apps used, type of access, scalability requirements.

NAS appliances from Synology and QNAP may work for modest requirements but no guarantees: they don't offer support editing workflows.

If we're talking about a single seat editor access, additional users being "read-only", then the most common setup is DAS on a Mac Pro shared over the network, $5K for 32TB, nearly infinitely scalable.

If you're sure you need shared central storage that explicitly supports editing workflows, check out Bob's NAB2013 shared storage list.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Jason Kapell
on May 1, 2013 at 1:33:37 pm

As stated above, I will not be using the storage for editing. External drives will be used for that (most days I have to take my work home with me anyway). The coordinator will need full administrative access: add and remove files, organize, renaming, etc. I have just switched to Premier from FPC7. In addition to raw footage (prores, xdcam, mp4, wmv) the storage will contain managed Pr and Ae project files, as well as old FCP managed project files. I would like to be able to download data outside of the office (ie: i'm on the road in Denver at a client conference and the client wants to reprise a video that was use at last year's conference). I can't imagine a situation where I would need to upload anything from outside.
Again, I'll never edit from this storage. Just trying to put at least 50TB of existing data in a one place, with room to grow.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on May 1, 2013 at 12:44:58 pm

Jason, we have a very simple and affordable shared storage option that may be a good fit for you. If you'd like to learn more, please contact me directly.

Tim Ward
Small Tree Communications
952-641-7440
tim@small-tree.com
http://www.small-tree.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]