FORUMS: list search recent posts

To upgrade or not?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Wilson
To upgrade or not?
on Apr 26, 2013 at 3:28:13 pm

I have an early 2009 mac pro, 2x2.26, 12gb ram with atto r380 running 2 gspeed es pros (8gb each). I am a video editor running fcp7 now and looking to add avid mc and adobe premiere. I was thinking about my options for the future (new mac pro with thunderbolt available hopefully soon or running new macbook pro in clamshell mode) and it sounds like the r380 isnt compatible with thunderbolt expansion box, i'd need the r680 ($1k). I imagine upgrading my raid card means formatting my raids. Any tips on a good plan moving forward that makes monetary sense too? Seems it might make sense to just upgrade to thunderbolt raid if i'm upgrading computer since i would need something to transfer all of my data to anyways if i upgraded my raid card. Or do i just hang onto this setup until its run into the ground? It meets my needs right now but dont want to paint myself into a corner in the future. Also trying to think if any of this stuff has decent resale value right now. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: To upgrade or not?
on Apr 26, 2013 at 4:42:36 pm

[Amy Wilson] "I imagine upgrading my raid card means formatting my raids."

Not from R380 to R680. R680 will recognize the existing array that was created on R380.

[Amy Wilson] "Or do i just hang onto this setup until its run into the ground?"

If it does what you need and there're no major performance or other bottlenecks - sure.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: To upgrade or not?
on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:14:39 pm

ATTO had the cost of the R680 at the same cost as the R380 before, that should still be the case.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]