FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I "Share" a CineRAID across my Windows 7 network?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Pickering
Can I "Share" a CineRAID across my Windows 7 network?
on Apr 24, 2013 at 10:32:18 pm

Hi,

I'm new to RAID but I'm interested in setting up a RAID 5 simply to keep a redundant copy of my editing drive in case of hardware failure. I thought about getting something like the CineRAID CR-H458 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816856039 because of it's low pricepoint. Of course I will need to add drives.

My system is Windows 7 64bit. The footage is Canon H.264 footage and I prefer to edit it raw without conversion. I would like to use the RAID 5 as the editing project drive.

I would like to be able to have two systems access the RAID 5 setup simultaneously, but it will not be a daily need so if bandwidth suffered it wouldn't be a HUGE deal- depending on the severity. I thought I could connect my two editing systems on the same gigabit network and simply "Share" the RAID 5 drive. Would this work?

I'm checking out Microsoft SyncToy to be used to sync the RAID 5 content to an external drive. I would do this weekly and keep the drive off-site.

Does this setup look acceptable? I understand it's not a speed setup but I really need to keep this inexpensive. Would I be wasting money doing this setup? I plan to get more into more 3D motion graphics with AE in the future, but that is more-so rendering power and not drive speed, right? I don't have any plans for RED editing in the near future.

Thank you for any suggestions or direction for further reading!

Stephen

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Can I "Share" a CineRAID across my Windows 7 network?
on Apr 24, 2013 at 11:37:15 pm

[Stephen Pickering] "I thought I could connect my two editing systems on the same gigabit network and simply "Share" the RAID 5 drive. Would this work?"

Sure it would. If possible, make it the same drive letter on both systems.

[Stephen Pickering] "Does this setup look acceptable?"

Seems perfect for your goals: a combination of drive redundancy and backup to maximize uptime and minimize data loss. Access over LAN can be anywhere from 20MB/s to 110MB/s regardless of how fast your local storage is - something to be aware of.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Stephen Pickering
Re: Can I "Share" a CineRAID across my Windows 7 network?
on Apr 25, 2013 at 2:23:04 am

Thank you Alex, I appreciate your quick feedback. That's what I was hoping to hear. As we start doing more we'll look into a better setup but I'm glad to hear this should work for now, even with the slower bandwidth.

Thanks again,
Stephen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]