FORUMS: list search recent posts

server? disk array? how to do storage?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Mole
server? disk array? how to do storage?
on Apr 16, 2013 at 1:34:58 pm

So I am currently the lone video editor / motiongraphics designer at a design firm. There are 6 graphic designers who work here and all work off of a server. It seems like any time I transfer large amounts of HD footage or work off of footage from the server it severely slows down the server for everyone.

I'm wondering what may be a cost effective but expandable server option for me and my video work. Initially I wanted to just install an array inside my workstation but later down the road we'll have another video guy. It seems like I need my own server apart from the designers. Does anyone have suggestions / solutions for me?

I'm running OS X 10.8 Quad core

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: server? disk array? how to do storage?
on Apr 16, 2013 at 8:05:22 pm

you should visit the SAN networks forum.

How much do you want to spend to make this work ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Joe Mole
on Apr 18, 2013 at 4:45:44 pm

I'm looking for a low cost expandable option... is that possible? I'll check out what you suggested.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:27:40 am

[Joe Mole] "I'm looking for a low cost expandable option... is that possible? I'll check out what you suggested."

It is, if all you want is faster storage that doesn't slow you much down when others are accessing the files: an external box 8+ bays and a SAS RAID controller, share it with others. Local storage will be super fast and won't slow down much when others access it via LAN.

Now when you add a 2nd editor who might want to edit off of that box directly over LAN, then you'd need to talk to Bob Zelin.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 24, 2013 at 1:06:38 am

simple answer - shared storage.
Visit the SAN forum, and you will get countless answers on how to do this. With a shared storage system, you can work right off the server (everyone can work right off the server).

1) you will spend about 10 grand to make this happen
2) your IT department can't do this. But lots of companies CAN do this for you. Visit the SAN forum.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on May 1, 2013 at 4:05:40 pm

10 grand?

Haha, Bob, I think you scared him off

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]