FORUMS: list search recent posts

Swap drive in CalDigit VR2?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher S. Johnson
Swap drive in CalDigit VR2?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:31:40 am

Hi. I was under the impression that I could swap out the drives on my new CalDigit VR2. The bare drives have a caddy around them, but the fasteners do not seem removable. I'm beginning to think they are GLUED together so that I must buy a full caddy/drive combo from CalDigit. But that couldn't be right. Neither the manual nor the web site says anything about this issue. Any clues for the clueless here?

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: Swap drive in CalDigit VR2?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:26:54 pm

Christopher,

As a former Director of CalDigit (in good standing) I can tell you this... If your product is still under warranty & you don't want to void the warranty, you should purchase additional drive caddies from them.

You said "Neither the manual nor the web site says anything about this issue"

Answer: All of their products require you to purchase additional drive caddies from them if you want to keep your product under their warranty. This has always been the case.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

See us at NAB Booth # SL7408
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/proavio

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:35:24 pm

Jon, I hear you. What needs to be known is that this condition of the product is not self evident upon purchase. Most people's experience with caddies is in the Mac Pro. This experience informs the opinion that this method of permanent bonding between drive and caddy is arbitrary, and a scheme for making more money, at the expense of very practical usability. It's odd. It's not cool.

I've mostly liked the drive and even recommended it to others. And that's even though it performs at 200 MB/sec, NOT 250 MB/sec as advertised, under USB-3. But now I feel less inclined to recommend. I paid $800 for it so I could go down to the corner store and buy a bare drive to put in it, not to sign up for a razor blades business.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:38:53 pm

Christopher,

I hear you too, what you're saying is fair.

I'd suggest writing them both to support@caldigit.com & to sales@caldigit.com

All the best.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

See us at NAB Booth # SL7408
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/proavio

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:08:30 pm

Thank you, Jon.

Return to posts index

Zach Morris
on May 12, 2013 at 4:47:13 pm

Hello Christopher-
Have you made any progress on this? I too was disappointed to learn that Caldigit drives are only hot-swappable with their own spares (at twice the cost of the actual Hitachi drive inside.)

Thanks in advance.
Z

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
on May 13, 2013 at 5:31:03 pm

Hi Zach. I've been so busy that I have not explored the possibilities. I'm working on a ProRes LT project on a single FW800 drive and have put the CalDigit on the shelf for a moment. But I will update soon. Thanks for the prompt.

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
on Aug 7, 2013 at 2:24:03 am

Hi Zach I can report now. Sorry for the very long delay.
Yes i was able to make two bare drives work without the caddies. But it doesn't feel nearly as secure and it's a pain -- using a headlamp, pliers to lower the drive carefully into the connector, and folded paper spacers be tween the drives. Oh, and round screws screwed into the bottom of the bottom drive, for lift. Not fun. Your milage may vary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]