FORUMS: list search recent posts

Enhancebox plus atto r380?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Sutcliffe
Enhancebox plus atto r380?
on Jul 15, 2010 at 12:29:59 am

I'm looking for opinions on whether this would be a good time to buy the above box and card combo? I've done a bit of digging and read through the forum and this seems to be a very good combination of size, protection and speed. Anyone disagree?

I'm not very informed on the state and future of SAS/RAID technology and could hold off if there were new product imminent which would render the current combo redundant ala esata port multipliers which we currently have.

Appreciate any advice.

Richard Sutcliffe
Kinetic Media
Christchurch, NZ

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Enhancebox plus atto r380?
on Jul 15, 2010 at 12:13:35 pm

I am confused by your post here. While the combination of products that you have listed will work just fine, you read Creative Cow, just like the rest of us do. Every time you open up Creative Cow, you are BOMBARDED with advertisements from drive and storage manufacturers, all who offer wonderful, professional solutions, to do exactly what you want. Right in front of you, you see ads for Dulce, Cal Digit, Maxx Digital, G-Tech, Sonnet, JMR, iStoragePro, etc, etc, etc. You can't NOT see it. Is there some reason you are not asking about the products that are advertised right here, instead of a "do it yourself" solution ?

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Richard Sutcliffe
on Jul 18, 2010 at 11:45:15 pm

Now I'm confused. Are you saying I should look at the many Ads and stick a pin in one? What would be the point of this forum and all the effort you make with advice?

I asked about a particular combination to see if there were any pitfalls which other users have experienced. I've seen it recommended by other people elsewhere on the web and it seemingly offers good value.

I asked if now is a good time to purchase this combination because all tech has a lifecycle and is regularly replaced and superceeded. As I said in my post, I'm not up to speed and want to avoid investing in tech which is approaching the end of its lifecycle.

Aplogies if this wasn't clear in my original query.

Richard Sutcliffe
Kinetic Media
Christchurch, NZ

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 20, 2010 at 12:15:40 am

everything gets outdated. If you buy something in February 2011, it will be outdated by February 2013. Are the 6 Gig drives coming - yes. Will the ATTO R680 card be out next month - yes. Will you regret buying the R380 and Enhance Box with 3 Gig drives next year - yes. Will you regret buying the yet unreleased R680 card, and new 6 Gig drive chassis and drives in Feb 2011, and regret this decision in Feb 2013, when even faster, bigger, and cheaper drive arrays are out - YES ! The original RED camera is now outdated, and that is new technology. Everything gets outdated quickly. What is a good 10 year investment - a nice oven, good quality furniture. What is a good long term investment in the video business - good racks, HD patch bays, quality AC outlet strips, and a big industrial UPS for power.

If you have seen the new digital SLR cameras, you know that any 3 - 4 year old camera is a waste now. If you have seen OLED monitor technology, you know that you can spend $8000 for a broadcast LCD monitor, and it will be useless in 2 years.

There are many excellent drive arrays advertised on Creative Cow. Every solution that I currently specify has an ATTO R380 card in it - be it Maxx Digital, Sonnet Technologies, or JMR. (and the other brands you see here on Creative Cow are great too). Will you regret all of these when the 6 Gig drives and ATTO R680 card is released - YES YOU WILL.

Did I answer your question ?
Jesus loves you.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Jul 21, 2010 at 7:37:06 am

Richard,
Our Enhance with R380 are still running fine since install about 3 years ago.
We only run Hitachi ultrastars now after a seagate issue.

I've had a few issues with the R380 that both Bob and Atto helped with.

What you get by buying from one of the companies MAXX, Dulce,Cadigit etc is support.

Are you good enough to trouble shoot yourself?
If something breaks can you afford to just go out and replace the part?

If you save yourself money by building it on your own and installing do yourself a massive favour and build 2, run the 2nd on another computer and have it clone over every hour.

I think Bobs suggesting clicking on the links for storage on here, looking at the websites, contacting them then making an informed decision rather than just using a pin. Besides I don't think ya monitor would thank you ;)

So to answer your initial questions. yes.. those products work together.

But.. which exact model drives will you use?
What computer are you plugging it into ?
Which version of the OS ?
What other cards will you have ?
Which slots will you put them in?
And what if you set it all up and you just get 200MBs ? then what?

There are pro's n cons to doing it either way. it's your call but personally right now were not buying more storage for a while till 6Gig comes out.

si

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]