FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for advice on setting up video raid

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Bates
Looking for advice on setting up video raid
on Mar 25, 2013 at 9:11:41 pm

I'm thinking about putting together a video raid and would love to get some advice from others who may have done so. Looking to spend @$3K for speeds in the 750-900MB/s range. Here's the setup I'm considering:

Areca 4036ML or iStorage Pro iT8SAE6G chassis
Areca 1882X or Atto r680 controller card
8xHitachi Ultrastar drives (size TBD)

I'll probably set it up as a 7 drive RAID 5 with one hot spare. Ultimately, I will also have it backed up to a NAS drive array for added security.

Any advice from others who have put together a similar setup or suggestions for something better would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Looking for advice on setting up video raid
on Mar 25, 2013 at 9:24:19 pm

Hi Sean,

Already responded on the Adobe forum. It looks good; personally I'd probably steer towards everything Areca.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:06:49 pm

sounds good to me. SAS provides you with good speed, 7 plus one spare is fine, the Ultrastars would be my recommondation as well. We run a Sonnet SAS for years, it's very good, but Areca should be a good choice too. Welcome to the world of fast and reliable arrays.
Just consider Alex's advice with expandibility of the raid. Might be worth looking into.

Cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:12:31 pm

you could also have a look at Axus SAS raids, they are expandable as well. We run a big AXUS Yotta 3 FC raid with good results. The Hardware is pretty solid.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Sean Bates
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:17:27 pm

Good point on the expandability, Alex. I was considering going with 3TB drives to have a full 18TB of useable storage. I'm thinking that's enough but these days you never know. The iStorage Pro unit that I mentioned above is expandable for about twice the price of the Areca. Definitely something to take into account.

Rainer, I've also used a Sonnet array (Fusion 800 I think) which has been pretty good aside from the bundled r380 card failing once and having a loose drive cable another time. But overall, speed and reliability were pretty good. Definitely hoping to hit a lower price point though.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Mar 26, 2013 at 3:22:41 pm

Why not just do a RAID-6? Less chance of URE problems on rebuild than RAID-5. Read/Write speeds shouldn't be that much different, especially with Areca. Overall better use of same number of drives.
My 2 cents.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

Sean Bates
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:01:22 pm

Yeah, that's a good point Todd. In theory, the speed should pretty much be the same, shouldn't it?

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Mar 26, 2013 at 7:46:01 pm

yeap, speed is almost the same with a 6 bay raid. Is there a huge price difference to an eight bay?

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Mar 28, 2013 at 3:21:19 pm

Read speeds should be similar. Write speeds may be slightly lower on RAID-6 because of the dual parity, but I have had excellent RAID-6 write performance with Areca. Last Areca card I had did very similar specs at RAID-5 and RAID-6. Other cards, such as Highpoint and Promise, not so much - can't speak personally for ATTO, but I hear good things.
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]